Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

HELP !!!! I need mentoring!!!!!

laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/06/03, 09:45 PM
I haven't been here in forever. I gave up. :( Didn't do too hot last time. So ... now I'm kick'n myself in the butt and gotta lose some weight 'cause I'M GETTING MARRIED!

Right now I'm still right at 200 which is what I was at last time I was on here. Ugh... I did find a real nice treadmill at a garage sale for 30.00 and have been trying to use it every evening. I've read some of the stuff on here and I think I'll start trying to use it in the mornings instead of at night. Maybe a little bit at night and a little in the morning.

What are the best things to eat as far as low carb and high protein?

Our wedding is October 16, is 35 pounds too unrealistic?

My problem is, and I think this is with a lot of people ... I start working out and I'm all into it and doing so good. Then about 2 or 3 weeks later I get sick of not seeing any results so I give up. I'm goin back and forth and it's driving me nuts. Plus I have this thing with eating at work. I really need to stop doing that. It's terrible!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/03, 11:01 PM
Hi laneylou! Welcome back, I'm a newbie, but I can relate to all you've said. Good for you with the treadmill! That is a great start! The nutrition posts are super for the foods to eat, I've found, as are the knowledgeable individuals that hang out here! It is wonderful that you have set a goal for your wedding (CONGRATULATIONS), but don't put too much pressure on yourself as sometimes it adds to the stress you have with the upcoming event and depending upon your eating patterns that may not help. You could just get going and give yourself a goal for each day and try to accomplish that, sometimes the small goals that lead to the big ones are easier to handle. Be easy on yourself but firm. If you cheat, move on and workout.

I certainly can relate to the 2 or 3 weeks and quitting, I am on my 3rd week of workouts and though I can see very small, minute changes, I know that the most important, very necessary changes I am undergoing right now are where I can't see - within. Both physically and emotionally. I know my heart is beating happier (can a heart beat happier?) and my muscles are happier with the added oxygen, my skin looks better and my endurance is already increasing. I went from doing 5 minutes on my glider to 20 and hope to make that 25 by Monday, but I took little steps and little goals to get there. The other thing is variety, I bore easily so I have to incorporate various cardio workouts or I would just throw in the towel if all I did was my glider, though I do that no matter what each day.

As far as eating at work, hey, that is okay, but eat the right things. Try the 4-6 small meals, that really helps when you are working, bring foods that fill you and drink lots of water - the bummer with that is the people I worked with probably thought I had a bladder the size of a tablespoon as I drank so much darn water I was running to the rest room every 20 minutes some times! Walk at lunch, this is a real invigorating thing if you sit most of the day, enjoy your surroundings while eating a yogurt.

Good luck to you and I'll be rootin' for you to hang in here, it's good medicine! :)

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
2004/06/03, 11:14 PM
Hey laneylou, welcome back. Your goal is very doable. Let us know when and where we can help.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/06/04, 07:12 AM
Thank you! I actually made it up this morning at 5:30 and went out on the porch and did stretches then walked on the treadmill for 25 minutes. Have to get ready for work now.

I'm gonna TRY real hard to keep this up every morning. hehe

What are the best things to eat while you're at work for small meals?
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/04, 11:13 AM
Ohhhh, that is great, laneylou! I slept in until 9:00 a.m. this morning and feel AWFUL! I can't believe I slept that long, but I am not feeling up to par today, though it may have to do with snoozing so long, I never feel good if I sleep that late.

I would find things that are filling and low in calories if you are not very active at work. I don't know if this is correct, but I used to bring carrots and celery as they were good and crunchy, sometimes I would very thinly spread peanut butter on the celery. I kept water at my side at all times and that helped more than I thought it would. Find things that you enjoy but are low in carbs/calories. Keep a variety of snacks that are good for you right in a drawer if possible so you are not tempted by treats brought in by others. When they would bring a cake or cookies in, I didn't even leave my chair and would immediately open one of my "good" snacks as my stomach was yelling "GO EAT CAKE", so I had to quickly get over it! I would cut up apples, too, bring grapes and other fruits so that I could curb the need for "sweet" items, though moderation is important there, too, I suppose with the carbs. I made them all ready to eat so if the urge hit me, I was ready for it. You will really enjoy the extra effort to bring items and munch on them while at work knowing that you are eating healthy and you aren't as hungry. I get "bored" hungry, where if I am idle, I will grab some food almost as something to do.
Good luck to you, you started out great today!!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/06/04, 02:21 PM
Try weighing your self only every other week, then when you do you can see a change better.

--------------
Woodie.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/06/04, 03:07 PM
Laneylou, first off every year on your anniversary, you need to remember to send me a birthday present ok?? :big_smile: Secondly, I deffinately think 35lbs by october is dooable. You have learned lots of things on this website I am sure, so just continue to put them into practice, and you will get the results you seek!! :big_smile:
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/06/04, 07:26 PM
Thanks! I appreciate all the positive words. I did good today. Tried to eat every few hours. Only thing was with drinking the water it seems like I get shakey when I'm not eating a full meal. Maybe I need to make it a little shorter time between meals. I'm hypoglycemic too though, so that doesn't help.

Yep! Got off to a good start today! Going to do it tomorrow too. Even though I'm off work hehe ... Have a Kenny Chesney concert tomorrow night :)

Happy Birthday CristaBelle ! Hope you have a great one today.

Now ... I hear different things about a few different foods. Some places I hear they're real good for you some I hear it's all fat some say it's low fat. I'm not sure what to think ...

Pork Chops
Avacados
Nuts

Everyone says like the avacados and nuts are high in fat but it's the good fats? What's that mean? I'm a fat tard.... heheh can anyone help on that?
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/06/04, 07:28 PM
Well geeesh ... Guess I didn't read that right.....hehehe HAPPY BIRTHDAY on our Anniversary I mean..... DUH!:)
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2004/06/07, 12:07 PM
LOL..ha ha ha :big_smile: Avacados and nuts are good fats, but need to be eaten in moderation like everything else. Pork chops, I have been hearing it is good to stay away from. Hope this helps a bit!!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/07, 05:47 PM
FYI...

PORK: In recent years, U.S.. farmers have been breeding ever leaner pigs to reduce fat content. In fact, according to the National Pork Producers Council, modern pork contains 31 percent less fat than it did two decades ago. And, the best news, there are a variety of cuts that fall between the fat content estimated for a three ounce serving of chicken breast (3g) or a similar-sized serving of chicken thigh (8.6-9.2g).

NUTS: Over the last few years, several studies have suggested that including nuts in your diet can lower your risk for heart disease.

It seems very possible that nut consumption can in fact reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. Some people are worried because nuts are high in fat. Nuts are high in fat, but the fat is mostly unsaturated fat, which has been shown to have beneficial effects on blood lipids. (In general, “lipids” are another way of saying fat or fatty acids. When someone is checking your blood lipids, they’re measuring fat-like substances in your blood, including cholesterol and triglycerides. Fatty acids are organic compounds that provide calories to the body, along with protein and carbohydrates. They are the most concentrated form of energy in foods, and are important for proper body functions and health.)

AVACADO: have a higher fat content than any other fruit: 71 - 88%. In an Australia study, eating avocados daily for 3 weeks improved blood cholesterol in middle-aged women better than a low-fat diet did. And avocados improved the good HDL. cholesterol ration 15%. The expected outcome is that by eating avocados heart patients can cut their risk of heart attack by 10 - 20%.
In 1989 Dr. Scott Grundy of the Center for Human Nutrition reported that a diet high in monounsaturated fat may offer more health benefits for Type 11 diabetics than the then recommended low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet. Recently, Gerald Reaven, a diabetes researcher at Stanford University, has reaffirmed this study. He found that the higher fat diet (45%, of calories) rich in avocado-type monounsaturated fat does not create the hazard of the 30% fat, high-carbohydrate diet, which can raise blood sugar, insulin and triglycerides. That's not all. Avocados are high in fiber, have 60%, more potassium than bananas and are rich in the anti- oxidant, glutathione. As a special gift to diabetics, their sugar content decreases as they ripen.
--------
To learn about GOOD AND BAD FATS you can go to:
http://pacificcoast.net/~rustym/articles/fats.html

Very informative.

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/06/07, 07:59 PM
Wow ! Lots of good information. I just never know what to think, 'cause I hear so many different things. Like on here it says one pork chop was either like 30 or 60g of fat. I don't remember exactly. But when you go out to like Bennigans they say a two pork chop meal is only 10g of fat? How is that possible? There was no fat on them but I still don't see how that could possibly compare.

:) This is what brings on my daily confusion spells. heheh :)

I got up on Saturday and worked out for 30 minutes on the treadmill. Didn't get to bed very early last night so I only had time for 10 minutes of walking on the treadmill but I still did that 10 minutes. Ugh! hehe :) Wish I had more time in the days.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/08, 10:22 PM
That's right - you still did it! I hear you about time in the day, I don't know what in the world I'm going to do when I start working, though I have started my search for a gym nearby my workplace maybe I can run to during lunch, or I will have to take walks, though they bore me.

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
laneylou
laneylou
United States
2004/06/08, 10:57 PM
I actually like going out for slow nice walks ... Don't like the power walking outside. Inside I can just get on the treadmill and watch tv and dont' even notice that I'm really working out.

Made it up today for 25 minutes. Woot woot!