Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

HELP!!! Gotta knee injury!!!!!!!

usagalinsa
usagalinsa
Australia
2008/05/22, 02:15 AM
Howdy all....

I am a 36 year old single mother trying to work out and lose weight. in all my wonderful efforts in trying to do this, i have developed a knee problem that will require surgery in the next few weeks. I do not want the rest of my body to go to pot (again) and want to lose some more weight before i have the surgery, but knee movement is really non-existant when it comes to exercise... i have a gym in my home that i am very proud of but cannot find a workout plan that doesn't include knees.... does anyone have any ideas... what would be the best way to modify my ft workout to not include legs but not overwork the rest of my body... also does anyone know of how you can get a cardio workout withouts using the legs?? Unfortunately i don't know any wheel chair athletes at the moment.

Cheers
usagalinsa
joeyman16
joeyman16
United States
2008/05/27, 05:03 PM
I know how you feel. I have had a knee injury for a few years. What I do is just eliminate any leg exercises that are in my workout plan when my knee begins to hurt.

Because you are having surgery, I wouldn't work your legs at all just focus on the upper body. After surgery, and with your doctors OK I would start very lightly on the leg workouts.

--Joey

--------------
Whoever said nothing is impossible, never tried slamming a revolving door.
SunsHan
SunsHan
United Kingdom
2008/06/07, 06:33 PM
I can totally comiserate - my knee went out a few months before my wedding and I piled on the pounds!

I found Pilates to be really helpful - it's a good body conditioning thing and the DVD I have I do lying down, so no knee pressure. It helps with posture etc which can help avoid future damage(two recent physio stints as a result of running injuries, both physios really recommended Pilates!)