Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Help about supplements. ! Im confused...

roger1984
roger1984
United States
2009/08/08, 02:24 PM
I have been wanting to hit the gym since a while, and finally started off yesterday...yipee to me!!

The thing is I have often joined the gym with the sudden urge to look and feel good, but within a month or 2 the desire wears off and Im back at idling away at home figuring out reasons to not go to the gym... :laugh: I never took any supplements as I was always under the impression that supplements are bad. But a few weeks into the gymming routine, I would get really tired and have no energy left for anything else. Gym and sleep would be the only things I would be doing at that time.

This time though I dont wanna continue with the same results as before and would be obliged if any of you could advice me on the same.

I am 5.11 and weigh 179 lbs and am interested in weight loss and definition training. Though my weight is not overly obese for my height, im just flabby with fat concentration on the chest and tummy.

I do about 2-4 cigarettes a day and am trying to stop it. Other than that, I drink beer on the weekends when I hang out with my friends.

I have been keeping a track on my diet for the past week and this is approximately the results that I get.

Daily target Actual val
Calories 2,735 kcal 2,804 kcal

Carbohydrates 440.0 g 324.3 g

Proteins 176.0 g 111.0 g

Fats 33.4 g 54.5 g

Do I need to take supplements like whey protein or something? Im just scared of taking them, since I dont want to gain weight .

I read through the posts on the site about supplements, but the more I read, the more I got confused. It would be nice if anyone of you could advice me on the same. Any help would be appreciated.
bigjockhill
bigjockhill
United Kingdom
2009/08/08, 07:23 PM
Personally the first thing to go would be the cigarettes, hard i know, as i am a former smoker, what did it for me was the fact that my friend (40 years old) died of lung cancer, and he was down to 5 a day. that was shit.. also i would try to cut out some of the fat from your diet as 33.4 to 54.5 seems very high, can you cut out any processed food and exchange for home made stuff and maybe add plenty of veg. not very scientific but i hope it helps.
roger1984
roger1984
United States
2009/08/09, 01:44 PM
============
Quoting from bigjockhill:

Personally the first thing to go would be the cigarettes, hard i know, as i am a former smoker, what did it for me was the fact that my friend (40 years old) died of lung cancer, and he was down to 5 a day. that was shit.. also i would try to cut out some of the fat from your diet as 33.4 to 54.5 seems very high, can you cut out any processed food and exchange for home made stuff and maybe add plenty of veg. not very scientific but i hope it helps.
=============

Hey big...Thanks for replying to my post...

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your friend...I tried giving up on cigarettes...Was clean for about 6 months and then started again...Still in a battle of giving it up for good...

I tried reducing on the processed food, to reduce my fat intake.... But I stay alone with my roomies and am currently doing my studies, so no matter how hard I try, I do have to live on a diet of processed food..Im trying as much as I can to reduce my dependance on that and make my own food and stuff...
bigjockhill
bigjockhill
United Kingdom
2009/08/09, 06:58 PM
Try cereal with semi skimmed milk in the morning, tuna on wholemeal bread for lunch and plenty of citrus fruit in between, have a normal dinner and drink about three litres of water throughout the day along with your exercise program and you should see results. Keep trying to quit the cigarettes.
Good luck.
roger1984
roger1984
United States
2009/08/09, 07:55 PM

============
Quoting from bigjockhill:

Try cereal with semi skimmed milk in the morning, tuna on wholemeal bread for lunch and plenty of citrus fruit in between, have a normal dinner and drink about three litres of water throughout the day along with your exercise program and you should see results. Keep trying to quit the cigarettes.
Good luck.
=============

thanks for the advice big....
ill try to implement what you said....my mornings are usually good with cereal and milk..its the lunch and dinner that messes it up.:laugh: