Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

help A DEFENSIVE END OUT

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/03/07, 06:51 PM
HOWDY, I'm a defensive end who was is 6'3'' and weigh 218, since football season has ended i have been trying to lose all my fat to get faster and stronger ,and just be an athlete of lean muscle mass and speed. But I am going to college soon and may want to try and play football there, and i know the people there are huge division 1, do you have any suggestions on what i should do to get as strong, fast , mobile, agile, durable, flexible, balanced , coordinated, and as powerful as i can possible be???

I have been running lots of sprints, jogging, stadiums, lunges, squats, leg and upper body auxillaries, dead lifts, bench, 3x3 , 5x4x3x2x1, sets, 2x10 on auxillaries, lots of ab work, crunches, bridges & planks, etc., i have been training alot and i really have only seen strength gains in deadlifts and i am only benching like 210. since the end of football season which was december 6. I make sure i get enough rest usually , i take a supplement called MEGA WHEY from GNC 40grams of protein, 5 grams of L GLUTAMINE and 3g of BCAA's. I try and eat right, but i can't all the time.

HELP HELP HELP, any idea's on how big and fast i should be?
Ogun
Ogun
United States
2004/03/07, 11:43 PM
I've written for alot of younger football players here...there's probably some good results on fitbuddy too.

However, I think you just need to collect alot of data.

I played 4 years of DE in high school. I also played some OT, TE, and DT. The thing about DE's is that you have to be strong enough to make the tackle and to avoid getting hooked, but quick enough to get to the tackle (especially if it gets outside of you).

I used a dog analogy once; can't remember it verbatim, but it went something like this (for a running back):
The St.Bernard: very strong, but only barks once per day, then goes back to sleep
The poodle: quick, but hits the line like a brick wall and stops--has energy all day
The Greyhound: fast, but gets snapped in the defensive backfield--runs out of energy at a moderate rate.

You're some combination of these silly dogs :laugh:
For your position, I recommend a balance of about 40/40/20 respectively. So you're 40% powerful, 40% quick, and 20% fast. In other words, you aren't winning any marathons if a quick HB blows past you, but hey, leave that leg work up to your DBs, corners, and safeties.

All I ever was required to do as DE is contain; don't let the run get between me and my sideline. If I could do that--turn that run inside--my cavalry was coming. I did that pretty effectively by avoided that hook, popping the lineman in front of me at the snap (quick and hard--don't linger and wrestle) and looking for the ball.

I'm not the expert on diet and exercise for certain requirements, but I can tell you that with your height and weight, focus on power and quickness (and stamina), and sacrifice time that you would spend working on speed to serve those if you need to.

I'm tired now but I'm trying to throw something together; forgive me.

Exercises that mimic certain movements:
1. the POP off the line (your hands pop his shoulder pads)--Bench Press
2. launching off of the line--Squat
3. maneuvering out of a hook--just about every muscle you have, especially legs and shoulders
4. making tackles--Pull-ups
5. flipping a blocker over you--deadlift (lower back muscles)
6. moving through a jumbled mess to get to the ball--dips, sprints, squats, lots more I spose
7. absorbing/deflecting upper body blows--abs (decline situps, etc.)

--------------
--There are no versions of the truth.--
Jeff Goldblum, Jurassic Park II
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/08, 11:30 AM
Try some of the speed bench and box squat workouts for 3 weeks. Also, try the 8 week plan I posted in conjunction with those workouts. If you want me to set it up for you then send me an email at certifiedweighttrainer@yahoo.com.
jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/03/08, 01:38 PM
i'm just curious, what school are you looking at?

--------------
Get your weight up, kid
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/03/11, 06:38 PM
FSU
jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/03/11, 07:32 PM
its no Rutgers, but i have a friend who goes there so i'll let you go.

--------------
Get your weight up, kid
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/11, 11:04 PM
nevermind, I can't help you.
jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/03/11, 11:17 PM
HA! college rivalry is great. Rutgers is still better than both of your schools. i'm just kidding

--------------
Get your weight up, kid
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/11, 11:24 PM
Remember the fight at the 50 after the game this past year? One of the FSU linebackers cracked me with his helmet from behind when I was pulling one of our guys out. I saw it on film and it was flat out ugly. GRRRR...