Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

hello

desbug01
desbug01
United States
2004/05/18, 11:01 AM
Hi my name is des. I am a recovering bulimic. I have great days and bad days. I usually binge anywhere from 1-3 times a week. I am working on a healthy lifestyle and balance in my life. Stress is my big trigger as is being tired. As a mother of 3 it is hard to avoid either. LOL
I hope to find some help and motivation here. I could really use an accountability partner to help me beat this.
Take Care~
des
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/05/20, 03:57 AM
Stress is a figment of imagination. We constantly build our own pressure with unrealistic terms set on ourselves. Worry rather than deal with our issues- breaking down our chances of getting freedom from our stressed out imaginations. Cut out the what if's and why me, the unlucky one. Get a website or a diary for 'deppression' and fill out a food/exercise/feelings diary- theres a deppression diary at something like netdoctor.com- i used to do it...

Once a day set aside one hour for worry time- write down everything that is getting your goat(mortgage, weight, kids) - look at these issues and choose the ones you can resolve now and make a plan to do it. Look at what worries you can change rather than resolve or accept. Shelve what you can't change- write it down and sleep on it- tell yourself that you will worry about this again tommorrow at 7pm- when you get their your worries will be half- re read them and half of what's left will be insignificant anymore. Result is you are dealing with yourself. This is approved practise from pscyhiatry- I know alot of tricks that stopped me being deppressed by embracing a bit of therapy. So get with the programme.

Now go sit down in the sunshine or in a low light(how you like it- rub your left thumb into your right palm in a circular motion toward your thumb for a few minutes and tell me you aint better relaxed and less tense?

Close your eyes and practise very slow regular breathing thinking the words and concentrating 'breathe in... breathe out' - try not to do/think of anything else for five minutes- are you releasing tension or forgotten about what was upsetting you 5 minutes ago?
If you say no then you aint tried. You must learn about you and control you. It is possible and you will do it. Keep in touch here- there is support from us (i'm the mad pscho one)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/05/20, 08:25 AM
desbug01,
Welcome to Ft!

You will find a lot of support here!

Don't let neiltilley scare you, he has some good points in his mad ramblings.

Stress is a reaction and you can control your reaction to things. t takes time and re-learning.
Regular exercise and healthy eating both will help reduce your stress levels and boost your confidence and ability to deal with the things that upset you.

Stick around!

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
desbug01
desbug01
United States
2004/05/20, 01:13 PM
Thank you for your encouragement and words of wisdom. I don't really suffer from depression but I appreciate your advice. I am slowly learning how to let go and not let stress overtake me. The deep breathing really helps and also limiting myself to 3 balanced meals a day with V-8 in between meals and a bedtime snack of cottage cheese, flax and strawberries. So far is keeping my cravings in check. I hid my bathroom scale this morning as that also seems to be a trigger. Sometimes all I can think about is losing weight and how I am going to accomplish it. My goal is to live free and healthy. Not worry or obsess about my weight or food. I am tired of living such a shallow life. All consumed with me. It is time for me to expand myself and care and nurture others around me.

Thanks for listening~
des