Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Heavy lunges??

Sweeny
Sweeny
United States
2001/11/06, 03:17 PM
I base my leg workout around compound excercises of course, but I have a question. I know lunges are more of a shaping excercise, but would heavy lunges be very effective for mass gains?
-Sweeny (Bodybuilder, Athlete)
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2001/11/07, 08:46 AM
First, there is no such thing as a "shaping" exercise. Your were born with the muscle shape that you will die with. The only thing we can do, as bodybuilders, is make them bigger. With that said, I think any exercise done heavy promotes mass gain. However, certain exercises are much to dangerous to perform in this manner simply because of the compromising position the exercise demands from your body. A couple of quick examples would be the dumbbell fly and the lunge. These put your joints (knee, elbow, shoulder) in very dangerous positions. Heavy weight (however you define that) can cause you to become injured more easily. For heavy lunges, use a smith machine. This at least prevents the possibility of rocking your knee out from under your body. In short, go as heavy as you can and still be safe. This will not be as heavy as your muscle can handle however.
spanishgirl
spanishgirl
United States
2001/11/08, 01:10 PM
Great advice lifter...!