Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Have I botched this completely?

mepronovost
mepronovost
United States
2002/12/27, 11:21 PM
Hello, I am new to this whole site and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, I just have a question and I hope someone can help.
I am 22, 5'4" and currently weigh 105lbs. I weighed 120 in October but lost 15 lbs by pretty much starving for the past 3 months. I did exercise too, but not at all consistently until the past few weeks. I have noticed, however, that my body doesn't look any better than it did at 120. The places that were flabby still look that way to me, I am not toned at all, just thinner but my body doesnt look any nicer, if that makes sense. Also, I was a C cup at 120, which I loved, and now I am a B cup. My dilemma is, I think I could be happy at a higher weight if I would know the right things to do to look good at that weight. But I have no clue how many calories to eat a day, from what food groups, what exercise, how much. I do tae bo right now, the advanced video, 5 times a week. The only "equipment" I own is an old stationary bike and a coupel of handweights. I have a naturally curvy figure but losing the weight the way I did took away the curves and left the flab behind! Does anyone have ANY suggestions for me? I would appreciate any responses so much, thanks!!!
-Michelle
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2002/12/28, 12:21 AM
You may have been losing mostly muscle and hence kept alot of the fat. On this site is some great programs and check out the nutrition site to find out about what u should eat.

www.hussman.org has a great base metabolic rate calculator that is based on yoru body fat percentage, age, sex, and weight. Your BMR is the amount of calories u can eat if you did nothing all day and stay at the same weight. This site has all that stuff too, a great info center.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/12/28, 11:28 AM
Sounds like you lost lean body mass and water. In order to lose fatty tissue, you must eat nutritios foods, work on the cardio and do some weight traing. All 3 combined will give you results. Tell us more about yourself, fill in your profile with things like lifestyle and goals, also check out the nutrition area of the site. Feel free to post and check out the many areas this site has to offer.
Good Luck eh!

--------------
The trouble with jogging is that, by the time you realize you are not in shape for it, it is too far to walk back! Franklin P. Jones

Ivan Montreal Canada
hangclaw
hangclaw
United States
2002/12/28, 08:52 PM
Hi there. I too am fairly new to this site, and to fitness training. I have no business offering advice to anyone, but I can share a similar experience. When I first started losing weight, I only dieted. While I did lose some of the weight I wanted to, I actually thought I looked worse! But in four short weeks of weight training and cardio, I am beginning to see results, though I know I still have a lot of work to do. The experienced people here are a big help, and have provided much inspiration. Just follow the advice they give and you will be impressed with the progress you can make! I know I have been. Good luck!
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2002/12/31, 02:09 AM
I weighed less than 110 lbs 2 years ago. I'm also 5'3". I currently weigh 124 lbs after 5 months at the gym, and I'm the same size I was back then, but I look toned, nothing jiggles, and I eat more than I have for years. It all comes down to the diet. I can relate about the boobs. I'm all the way down to a 34 A, but far more 'perk' than I had when I didn't have chest muscles.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
mepronovost
mepronovost
United States
2003/01/02, 11:30 PM
effalunt... can you tell me about your diet? like how many calories and what you ate? ive been trying to eat a lot of protein now. I'd love to know what you did!
mepronovost
mepronovost
United States
2003/01/03, 12:04 PM
By the way, thank you everyone for the advice! I wish I had not messed it up the first time but hopefully I'll do it right now!