Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Gym Time

BillK
BillK
United States
2001/04/27, 12:49 PM
Well, I finally joined a gym. All my life except when I was in high school I lifted inside of my home. I realized for a while now that I wasn't hitting all muscle groups properly because I lacked a lot of equipment such as a hack squat machine, T-Bar, and all other cable machines. Since I workout in the mornings before leaving for work, I always seem to be in a rush and a lot of times I don't get all of my workouts complete, especially the days I work two (2) muscle groups. So, what I have planned is this. I will continue to lift inside of my home but I will do All leg and back work in the gym during the evenings. For instance, If I have Chest and Legs, I will do Chest in the morning and Legs later that night. My only concern is of, course the dreaded “O” word "OVER-TRAINING”; I really don’t’ think this will be a factor. If I were to over-train it would be the 2.5-hour workout in the morning when doing Chest for an hour and legs for another hour plus cardio for .5 of an hour. I will let all of you know in a couple of months if I get better gains this way. Does anyone else do this? Maybe I’m wrong with this statement but I feel if I can concentrate on one muscle group during a workout I can go all out and wont have to worry about preserving energy for the next group to follow.

By the way the gym is pretty awesome; I got set up for 24-hour access, therefore if my wife and I want to lift at 2:30 am we just go to the gym and lift. I got an access card for the doors; I just slide the card and bingo I’m in and have access to everything inside. And your probably thinking this must have cost an arm and leg but it didn’t, it only cost me $109.00 for 3 months. That is for my Wife and I. So, therefore $109.00 for two-people for unlimited access anytime I want for 3-months. My wife is just excited because the tanning beds and free aerobic sessions are included.

~billk~
kevtheraise
kevtheraise
United Kingdom
2001/04/28, 08:06 AM
My only concern is that you said train chest for an hour!!! That's a long time. Why don't you try Chest and Biceps on 1 day...you should be able to fit those 2 in an hour! Legs= 40-50 mins on another day. shouders and triceps on another. and back and rear delts on another!! Your paying money to use a gym ...use it!!
skeld2001
skeld2001
United States
2001/04/28, 02:52 PM
Congrats on the membership! I like to split my training when I have time. Although sometimes getting to the weights 2 times a day can be a challenge in it's self. I don't think overtraining will be a problem as long as you get your days off. My wife and I are about to change jobs. We are going to become long haul truck drivers. I know it's a hard life, but I'm looking forward to the adventure. My greatest challenge is going to be staying on the weights! I'll get to work out in every city I stop in. I bet I find some great gyms out there. It will be interesting to see how people go at training in different parts of the country.
Good luck on the new training schedule. I hope you do well.
I may not get back to the FT site for a while, since I leave for Arknsas for OJT in 2 weeks. (just enough time to try your Androsol if I buy it tomorrow)So I'll see ya later. Good luck and Keep the faith.
BillK
BillK
United States
2001/04/28, 06:28 PM
Skeld, you will be missed here on the board. The content of the information you gave was pretty good. You also have a pretty descent personality. I hope you enjoy the career change and be sure to post your androsol experience when you get a chance.

~billk~