Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

getting healthy again

kitkat5790
kitkat5790
United States
2016/02/25, 05:58 AM
Finally got motivated after having gained 40 pounds...it's ruff at 48. Metabolism changed. ..gown older. But determined to get back to a healthy state. Any ideas, help, routines would be appreciated. I've had to broken wrists (surgically repaired. ..screws, steel plates) but have gained much of my strength back. Quit working a year ago to take care of grandchildren. ..where I've ganged at least 25 pounds...so this is going to be a tuff journey. ..
Griff147
Griff147
United States
2016/03/01, 03:22 PM
Hey Kitkat- 
Good for you for getting going with it - hang in there! 
I'm not a trainer, but I've just maintained a physically active lifestyle since I was 13 (46 now).  I had a career in the Navy and it was mandatory for us to stay in reasonable shape.  When I started dating my wife, she had breast cancer and after overcoming it, I helped her get going with physical fitness.  I've got a few thoughts to consider, but I just wanted to let you know my background and that I'm NOT a trained professional trainer.

I recommend first getting some decent workout clothes: Target or Wal-Mart can hook you up without breaking the bank.  Shorts/yoga pants, support underwear and a new pair of running shoes (even if you don't run) are the way to go.  Next, I recommend simple stretching. Don't worry about getting too limber too soon...unless you loved "Zombieland!"   But definitely stretch your back by leaning over and twisting at the waist as much as you can. Stretch your neck GENTLY - look as far left or right as possible, but don't strain!  The arms and legs - get those loosened up, too.

Finally, I recommend just getting out and walking: 5-10 minutes per day for the first few days, but then bump that up in 5 minute increments every few days until you're walking for 30 minutes per day.  I've noticed that even after 1 week of easing into a new routine that my overall energy level is higher.  With the stretching, you may notice other aches and pains start to bother you less.  

Truthfully, just by stretching and walking, you'll notice a lot of changes in how you feel! If you get to the point where you want to start using weights, you should consult with a trainer because he or she will be able to show you the proper form for actually lifting. Given your wrist history, you don't want to injure anything further! 

Oh yeah - one last thing.  I have high cholesterol, gout, sciatica and plantar fasciitis.  The cholesterol and gout I manage ENTIRELY through diet - I'm off Zocor completely.  I eat 2 packets of instant, unflavored oatmeal per day, I drink no more than 1-2 sodas per week, and I don't eat any cheese (minimize dairy in general).  I eat a lot of organic chicken, veggies, bread and rice.  To drink with meals, I mix unsweetened iced tea with cane-sugar sweetened iced tea, half-and-half.  I also drink 6-8 glasses of water per day at least.  I do not mess with diet supplements or power shakes, etc.  

Anyway, I hope I've given you some ideas!  Good luck and I wish you much success! 
Griff
pvanessaw
pvanessaw
United States
2016/08/02, 12:30 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum and if you're looking for personal training assistance and/or nutrition coaching, I offer certified online coaching for both areas of wellness and would love to help you reach your goals together, whether it's fat loss, muscle gain, or just to get into shape for your health. If you're interested in working together, please feel free to contact me (Paige) at walte497@d.umn.edu to get started. I look forward to hearing from you! :) I also have a blog/website that you can check out if you want to get to know more about me and my background- www.walte497.wix.com/paige