Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

getting bigger

Svital
Svital
United States
2002/09/20, 12:00 PM
1)is it ok to only work out the shoulder and back 3 days a week if your trying to look bigger or do you have to do leg work outs.

2)can i do cardio to get cut but still do mass building work outs to look bigger but not small and cut?

3) i need help with good work out program that will increase the size of my back and shoulders and mainly the traps( i have done shrugs but it doesn't feel like it works good and other workouts for the traps)
INTRUDER
INTRUDER
United States
2002/09/20, 01:01 PM
I have learned that when doing shrugs you need to use plenty of weight. I use 60 lb dumbells in each hand. Lean forward slightley and let your head hang down, but keep your neck stretched out also. Make sure you really squeez and hold during each rep. Do 12-16 reps, 4-5 sets 3 times a week. Upright rows are another good one for the traps.
Do alot of flys will help expand the rib cage. They also say that alot of cardio at high altitudes will expand the chest. Give you that big wide mountain man chest. Maybe try running up a hill carring a tree?
============
Quoting from Svital:

1)is it ok to only work out the shoulder and back 3 days a week if your trying to look bigger or do you have to do leg work outs.

2)can i do cardio to get cut but still do mass building work outs to look bigger but not small and cut?

3) i need help with good work out program that will increase the size of my back and shoulders and mainly the traps( i have done shrugs but it doesn't feel like it works good and other workouts for the traps)
=============

--------------
"Get everthing you want--just make a little change now"
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2002/09/20, 01:12 PM
1)If you do shoulders and back 3 days per week, I don't know how they are going to have to time to recuperate and grow. And yes, without squats or some type of leg work, your legs will look like they should have a message attached to them!

2)Yes, you can do cardio and get somewhat cut. This gets to be a little tricky though. Without a calorie reduction, the cardio will probably not go too far other than keeping you from any more gaining.

3)The traps are awesome when big. I find that upright rows by far and away hit my traps the best. I had to stop doing them due to a forearm injury, and it shows. Shrugs with dumbells I find very good too. Just a straight up and down movement a little bent over, do not "roll" your shoulders. For overall back, the combo of Lat pull downs, (and the grip being just wider than shoulder width), with chins done to failure building up to using weight strapped around you, will produce phemominal results. Military presses with either barbell or dumbells(seated), are great for shoulder size. Follow these up with sid lateral raises(for the side delt), and rear laterals(of course for the rear delts). Stay with these compound exercises for full muscle developement. (the lateral raises are not compound movements, but in this case needed).

Best of luck!!! And don't forget those legs!! :>}