Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

General Tips, I guess?

CagedInSanity
CagedInSanity
Canada
2012/04/20, 03:22 AM
Didn't know what to call it, sorry for the lame title.

But, in my innexperience, I have pretty much only used dumbells. I do, however, have a gym membership now and would like to expand my routines a lot more, so that I can start isolating muscle groups and stuff. 

Basically I was wondering if any of you have personal tips on how to widen your workout. There are a lot of sites out there, but I'm just not sure what websites are credible and I don't want to get any injuries trying things that are out of my physical abilities. 

Basically the main thing is I'm still looking to (at least mainly) stick to freeweights, but I don't know many excersizes using a bar. 

Also, I know squats are supposed to be a really good for overall strength training, but I'm not sure what to start with and I'm always afraid of looking stupid at the gym in front of people I don't know and might never see again... haha.... 

As it stands, I use 25's for most of my dumbell training, it's my maximum (I can do 30's for bicep curls, but I don't because I feel like I don't do enough reps). Of course there are more difficult workouts for triceps and back and stuff that I use lighter weights for. I'm not sure if any of this is helping, but yeah, some advice for a beginer would be dandy.
2012/04/26, 10:15 PM
Take a look at the exercise plans in the exercise section here. Start of with lighter weights and perfect your form.
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/04/27, 04:19 PM (Edited: kolhy - 2012/04/27, 04:20 PM)
Hi Caged!

See if your gym has a starter program or intro to strength training.  Most do and they're great to pick up tips, advice and obtain feedback.  The class is filled with people just like yourself who are learning the ropes.

Also, spend some time paying close to attention to the pros as well as the newbies.  The more you see, the more you'll learn what and what not to do.   

And who cares if you make a fool of yourself?  Life becomes much easier if we just allow ourselves to do that and be OK with it! Don't take yourself too sersiously and learn to laugh at yourself  from time to time :P