Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Future military man has a few questions

Freedan
Freedan
United States
2004/02/28, 01:37 AM
Um this is directed more at people who are in or have been in the military (or know someone who has). I'm in the US and thinking of joining the Airforce. I am extremely nervous about bootcamp. Why? Because I'm pretty scrawny and not in the best of shape. (which is why I'm here at FT). Can anyone tell me what to expect? Where should I concentrate working out the most (shoulders, legs, ect.)? I plan to leave around April so I don't have too much time to get all what I want done. But I know this is something I want to do. Thanks in advance for replies.
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/02/28, 08:01 AM
You dont need to work out with weights to prepare for bootcamp. I would run, do sit ups, push ups, and pull ups. I am not trying to sound arrogant, but I do not think that the air forces boot camp is really too physically challenging.

--------------
Hecdarec in full effect.
vikingchild
vikingchild
United States
2004/02/28, 06:41 PM
i agree with hecdarec run,run, run, run, run, run,push ups sit ups and pull ups.it seems to be widely known in the miliatry that the airforce is alittle more relexed in physical training than the rest(unless you go for and make thier special forces ).hecdarec's marine training or the training a had in the army (Airborne Ranger Special Ops.)where probally a lot more challengeing bootcamps than you will face in the air force.let me give you the un spoken little figured out key to any boot camp.it is all about mental games and stress.if you question your self they win if you believe it will be hell it will be.it will be stressful and taxes mentallly and physically but at least for the marines and army it ensures you can handle the stress of combat and other tougher situations.

--------------
Dave "lost viking seeking Valhalla"
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/02/28, 08:55 PM
excelent point viking.

the mind always gives in before the body

--------------
"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves."

'Isnt that lifestyle boring?'

"Yes, but the gold medal is very shiny."
Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/02/28, 08:59 PM
exactly about the mind issue. I noted that in my post inspired words from an inspired man lol

--------------
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it is gone past me I will turn to see fear's path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain
Joz
Joz
United Kingdom
2004/02/29, 01:29 PM
can some guys check out the testicular cancer discussion i need help!
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/02/29, 04:06 PM
I agree with the above posts. You can prepare but if you meet their entrance requirements they'll whip you into shape. Boot camp is not only to prepare you physically but mentally as well. They teach basic military bearing and tradition. It's all about conformity. If you can't conform and work as part of a unit you will be in for a tough time.
cobra93
cobra93
United States
2004/02/29, 09:17 PM
The Air Force physical fitness test is push-ups, sit-ups, waist measurement and the time it takes you to run 1.5 miles. Not to worry if you're scrawny:) My husband gives new meaning to the term beanpole :dumbbell: and he just passed the test! --This will be his 6th year in, and they've started madatory PT again and the whole base is learning to run :) since the AF has been kind of lax about the whole fitness thing lately -- apparantly the higher ups are getting some flac for their guys not cutting it in the phys. ed dept. Just like all the guys above said, concentrate on pushups, situps and running and you should do just fine. Congrats on your decision!
2004/02/29, 09:32 PM
The only thing easier than Navy boot camp is Air Force boot camp. You will be fine.:big_smile:

LOL At cobra. you funny lady!!!

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
powerman990
powerman990
United States
2004/02/29, 09:50 PM
Freedan I kno what u mean bootcamp can be a scary thing to think about. i a member in Civil Air Patrol(the USAF auxiliary), all i can tell you is believe in yourself and u can do anything. i also plan on going into the AF, and yes it is the most relaxed out of all bootcamps.

Good luck, theres a link if anyone wants to know what Civil Air Patrol is
http://www.cap.gov/
2004/02/29, 10:09 PM
Powerman , cap=very cool outfit.

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
Freedan
Freedan
United States
2004/03/01, 04:32 AM
I have recently started a jogging program, and will be really getting into excerising when it gets a little warmer. I can't believe how many friendly people there are on this site. I will take all your advice and start working on pushups, situps and running. This is something I definately want to do. Now I just have to decided what I want my job to be.......
k1972pat
k1972pat
United States
2004/03/01, 06:44 AM
I have had family members in both the Marines, Army and Air force. They say the Airforce is the shortest and easiest out of the 3. As HEC said earlier, you will do lots of Running (Cardio type) exercises. The Marines have the longest boot camp which is 12 weeks. I wish you all the luck and keep us posted once you get in and are able to log back onto FT.
Leilita808
Leilita808
United States
2004/03/02, 09:42 AM
air force basic was easy...most guys lose weight and most girls gain weight. you only get to eat three times a day and you get like 30-60 seconds so I would learn how to eat really fast. heheh you do some type of pt every day but it is not hard at all. definitely research the afsc's and don't let your recruiter talk you into becoming security forces, unless you want to be a cop. look into 3c, 3c0,3c2 computer programming and what not...they have a 60K re-enlistment bonus chaching
bardrock69
bardrock69
United States
2004/03/06, 08:35 PM
all the above is very good advice. run, do push-ups, sit ups and if you can, do pull ups. I am a former Marine and I was scared just like you. Just do as they ask, and you'll done well. It is a great thing that your serving your country. Good luck.
spenco
spenco
Canada
2004/03/09, 11:31 PM
i have exactly the same problem as you...im training for army basic training in the summertime except that im not scrawny... im way too fat. need tips on chinups-those things seem impossible.

============
Quoting from freedan:

Um this is directed more at people who are in or have been in the military (or know someone who has). I'm in the US and thinking of joining the Airforce. I am extremely nervous about bootcamp. Why? Because I'm pretty scrawny and not in the best of shape. (which is why I'm here at FT). Can anyone tell me what to expect? Where should I concentrate working out the most (shoulders, legs, ect.)? I plan to leave around April so I don't have too much time to get all what I want done. But I know this is something I want to do. Thanks in advance for replies.
=============
Valrash
Valrash
United States
2004/04/01, 05:14 PM
I feel you guy's, execept I'm not as scared of the physical as I am in how I perform. I want to do special ops if I can, so I need to show a good leadership bearing. I've been raised most of my life to prepare for the military (father was 12 year active Navy and reservers in Navy then Army up till now). I want to excell unbelievably at everything so that I may have a better chance at getting what I want. I'm doing both cardio and lifting (want the extra strength for rappling down the wall). I'm going into the Army National Guard right now and have till sep 17 to get ready for Basics. After Basics and MOS training I'm gonna decide either to go active and try for Rangers or Berrets, or stay Guard and go to school to become a personal trainer. But over all I'm just worried about proving myself to be above the norm.
Definitly stick with the cardio and endurance, because that's what they want and need. And good luck. Also have fun, becuase it can be some fun there from what I've been told.:cool:

--------------
A determend mind is the best weapon in any situation, a strong body is the road to victory. G.R.C.
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/04/01, 06:21 PM
That's quite a choice, Special ops or Personal trainer. We have a Green Beret National Guard unit close to where I live. About 2 months after 9/11 they shipped their butts to Afghanistan and they haven't been back since (except for leave of course). We also have a National Guard signal battalion in my hometown. You know older fellas drinking beer and watching the football games on the weekends. Guess what? They are in Iraq on patrol. Not knocking any of this, just a heads up on the reality of service these days. I would say that unless you want to be hip deep in the shit, I'd stay away from any MOS that has to do with Infantry or Special Ops, Guard or regular.
knuhkles
knuhkles
United States
2004/04/04, 10:46 AM
Leilita808, thanks for the comment, dont let her fool you Security Forces isnt a bad carrier. Its the Air Forces Infantry, with some side excersuions. But, you probably have a general idea in what you want to do in your Air Force Carrier, just Run dont stress it so much, youll be just fine!!!!!
Valrash
Valrash
United States
2004/04/08, 01:10 PM
As far as being neck deep in the chit, I'll go where my country needs me, whether gaurd or active Army. Spec op's will be a great challenge, it may not have all the fun percs as some people think, but I look to serve with dissaplened and motivated individuals. That line of service is something not everyone can say they did in there live's or experience. It is a great challenge and I love challenges to the extreme. I know that alot of time's they get the hard jobs, but in that is the challenge above serving our country and protecting the inoccent people both where you are shipped and here. But above all else, anyone that takes the step to defend our country is a brave and respectable individual, and my hat goes off to them.

--------------
A determend mind is the best weapon in any situation, a strong body is the road to victory. G.R.C.
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/04/08, 11:18 PM
I meant no disrespect in my comments. On the contrary, as a veteran myself, I applaud and encourage service for all young men and women who are interested. I was merely pointing out the realities of service in the dangers of our modern world. As a matter fact, I applaud your attitude in this regard. There are not many people today that share this selfless outlook. Forgive me for seeming obtuse.
Fatally_Yours
Fatally_Yours
Canada
2004/05/22, 07:03 AM
www.stewsmith.com and www.military.com

Both have excellent resources.

and this, esp for the person wanting to do special ops as this is the pre boot camp trainign for the Navy Seals:

The majority of the physical activities you will be required to perform during your six months of training at BUD/S will involve running. The intense amount of running can lead to over stress injuries of the lower extremities in trainees who arrive not physically prepared to handle the activities. Swimming, bicycling, and lifting weights will prepare you for some of the activities at BUD/S, but ONLY running can prepare your lower extremities for the majority of the activities. You should also run in boots to prepare your legs for the everyday running in boots at BUD/S (Boots should be of a lightweight variety i.e. Bates Lights, Hi-Tec, Etc.).

Warning: Try these routines at your own risk! If you are out of shape or have any history of high blood pressure, heart disease, or any other illness, this kind of strenous exercise could lead to serious injury or death. Ask your doctor before starting any exercise program. This workout is provided here for reference purposes only.

The goal of the category I student is to work up to 16 miles per week of running. After you have achieved that goal then and only then should you continue on to the category II goal of 30 miles per week. Let me remind you that category I is a nine week buildup program. Follow the workout as best you can and you will be amazed at the progress you will make.

Week 1

Running
2 miles/day, 8:30 pace
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pushups*
4 sets of 15 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps*
4 sets of 20 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups*
3 sets of 3 pullups (chin bar)
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming**
Swim continuously for 15 min.
4-5 days/week

Week 2

Running
2 miles/day, 8:30 pace (6 mi/wk)
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pushups*
5 sets of 20 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps*
5 sets of 20 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups*
3 sets of 3 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming**
Swim continuously for 15 min.
4-5 days/week

Week 3

Running
None. High risk of stress fractures.
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pushups*
5 sets of 25 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps*
5 sets of 25 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups*
3 sets of 4 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming**
Swim continuously for 20 min.
4-5 days/week

Week 4

Running
3 miles/day, 8:30 pace (9 mi/wk)
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pushups*
5 sets of 25 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps*
5 sets of 25 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups*
3 sets of 4 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming**
Swim continuously for 20 min.
4-5 days/week

Weeks 5-6

Running
2 / 3 / 4 / 2 miles (11 miles/week)
Mo/Tu/We/Fr

Pushups*
6 sets of 25 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps*
6 sets of 25 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups*
2 sets of 8 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming**
Swim continuously for 25 min.
4-5 days/week

Weeks 7-8

Running
4 / 4 / 5 / 3 miles (16 miles/week)
Mo/Tu/We/Fr

Pushups*
6 sets of 30 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps*
6 sets of 30 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups*
2 sets of 10 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming**
Swim continuously for 30 min.
4-5 days/week

Week 9

Running
4 / 4 / 5 / 3 miles (16 miles/week)
Mo/Tu/We/Fr

Pushups*
6 sets of 30 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps*
6 sets of 30 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups*
3 sets of 10 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming**
Swim continuously for 35 min.
4-5 days/week

*Note: For best results, alternate exercises. Do a set of pushups, then a set of sit-ups, followed by a set of pull-ups, immediately with no rest.

** Note: Swimming is a sidestroke with NO fins. Switch sides regularly as you want to develop your sidestroke on both the left and right side. Try to swim 50 meters in one minute or less. If you have no access to a pool, ride a bicycle for twice as long as you would swim. If you do have access to a pool, swim every day available. Four to five days a week and 200 meters in one session is your initial workup goal.

Schedule, Category II

Category II is a more intense workout designed for those who have been involved with a routine PT schedule or those who have completed the requirements of category I. Do not attempt this workout schedule unless you can complete the week 9 level of Category I workouts.

Weeks 1-2

Running
3 / 5 / 4 / 5 / 2 miles (19 mi/wk)
Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa

Pushups
6 sets of 30 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps
6 sets of 35 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups
3 sets of 10 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Dips
3 sets of 20 dips
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming*
Swim continuously for 35 min.
4-5 days/week

Weeks 3-4

Running
4 / 5 / 6 / 4 / 3 miles (22 mi/wk)
Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa

Pushups
10 sets of 20 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps
10 sets of 25 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups
4 sets of 10 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Dips
10 sets of 15 dips
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming†
Swim continuously for 45 min.
4-5 days/week

Week 5

Running
5 / 5 / 6 / 4 / 4 miles (24 mi/wk)
Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa

Pushups
15 sets of 20 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps
15 sets of 25 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups
4 sets of 12 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Dips
15 sets of 15 dips
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming†
Swim continuously for 60 min.
4-5 days/week

Week 6 and beyond

Running
5 / 6 / 6 / 6 / 4 miles (27 mi/wk)
Mo/Tu/We/Fr/Sa

Pushups
20 sets of 20 pushups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Situps
20 sets of 25 situps
Mon/Wed/Fri

Pullups
5 sets of 12 pullups
Mon/Wed/Fri

Dips
20 sets of 15 dips
Mon/Wed/Fri

Swimming†
Swim continuously for 75 min.
4-5 days/week

Note: For weeks 8-9 and beyond, it is not necessary to increase the distance of the runs; work on the speed of your 6 mile runs and try to get them down to 7:30 per mile or lower. If you wish to increase the distance of your runs, do it gradually: no more than one mile per day increase for every week beyond week 9.

These workouts are designed for long-distance muscle endurance. Muscle fatigue will gradually take a longer and longer time to develop doing high repetition workouts. For best results, alternate exercises each set, in order to rest that muscle group for a short time.

† Note: Final swimming sessions are with fins. At first, to reduce initial stress on your foot muscles when starting with fins, alternate swimming 1000 meters with fins and 1000 meters without them. Your goal should be to swim 50 meters in 45 seconds or less.

Stretching

Since Mon/Wed/Fri are devoted to Physical Training (PT), it is wise to devote at least 20 minutes on Tue/Thu/Sat to Stretching. You should always stretch for at least 15 minutes before any workout; however, just stretching the previously worked muscles will make you more flexible and less likely to get injured. A good way to start stretching is to start at the top and go to the bottom. Stretch to tightness, not to pain; hold for 10- 15 seconds. DO NOT BOUNCE. Stretch every muscle in your body from the neck to the calves, concentrating on your thighs, hamstrings, chest, back, and shoulders.

Nutrition

Proper nutrition is extremely important now and especially when you arrive at BUD/S. You must make sure you receive the necessary nutrients to obtain maximum performance output during exercise and to promote muscle/tissue growth and repair. The proper diet provides all the nutrients for the body's needs and supplies energy for exercise. It also promotes growth and repair of tissue and regulates the body processes. The best source of complex carbohydrates are potatoes, pasta, rice, fruits, vegetables. These types of foods are your best sources of energy.

Carbohydrates, protein, and fat are the three energy nutrients. All three can provide energy, but carbohydrate is the preferred source of energy for physical activity. It takes at least 20 hours after exhaustive exercise to completely restore muscle energy, provided 600 grams of carbohydrates are consumed per day. During successive days of heavy training, like you will experience at BUD/S, energy stores prior to each training session become progressively lower. This is a situation in which a high carbohydrate diet can help maintain your energy.

The majority of carbohydrates should come from complex carbohydrate foods that include bread, crackers, cereal, beans, peas, starchy vegetables, and other whole grain or enriched grain products. Fruits are also loaded with carbohydrates. During training, more than four servings of these food groups should be consumed daily.

Water intake is vital; stay hydrated. You should be consuming up to four quarts of water daily. Drink water before you get thirsty!!! Substances such as alcohol, caffeine and tobacco increase your body's need for water. Too much of these substances will definitely harm your body and hinder your performance. Supplemental intake of vitamins, as well, has not been proven to be beneficial. If you are eating a well balance diet, there is no need to take vitamins.

Nutritional Balance

Carbohydrates
50-70% of calories

Protein
10-15% of calories

Fats
20-30% of calories
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/05/24, 11:01 AM
Been a while but I seem to recall that they will get you in shape if your not when you get there.

--------------
Woodie.