Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Forearms and wrists

erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/08/06, 09:01 PM
Does anyone know where forearms and wrists are covered on this site. I could not find it in muscle targeting. I am looking for something that can help strengthen the wrist and more exercises for the forearms. If anyone is willing and knows about this subject your response is appreciated.

Thank You,
Erin
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2001/08/07, 02:16 PM
I have looked the site over and have found nothing about the forearms. This really does not surprise me because many people do not work this bodypart by itself. Here is my take and some exercises. First, the wrist is only as strong as the muscles surrounding the joint. This inlcudes primarily the muscles found in the forearm. The muscles in the hand help some. Work those by strengthening your grip via stress ball or other grip devices. Make sure you are not bending the wrist when performing biceps curls. This can cause some pain and is not proper technique. For working the forearms, there are several good exercises:
1) Wrist curls - Lay your lower arm on your leg or bench. Using a dumbbell or barbell, let your hand drop toward the floor. The weight should roll a little in your hand down to your fingers. Then curl the hand back up as far as possible by flexing the forearms.
2) Behind the back wrist curls - This one is about the same as above. While standing, reach behind you and pick up the barbell with your palms facing away. Curl the barbell as described above.
3) Rope curl - Attach one end of a piece of rope (2-3 feet) to a one foot piece of a broom stick. Tie the other end around a dumbbell or maybe a 5lb plate. Holding the piece of wood with both hands, extend your arms straight out to the front. Now, using a twisting motion with your wrist (alternating hands), cause the rope to wrap around the piece of wood you are holding. Use your wrist to let the rope back out.
4) Reverse curl - These are good for forearm development. Again, do not curl your wrist with this movement.

Hope you can understand the above descriptions.
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/08/08, 08:51 PM
Thanks w8. Those wrist curls are killer but they work. Also many of my exercises do work them as a secondary muscle. Burly forearms are an asset!!

coolness...
justme
justme
United States
2001/08/09, 11:54 AM
one more exercise you can add to your forearm workout is a
reverse wrist curl, you do this the same as a regular wrist curl except you use a overhand grip ( palms down ) and curl it upwards. This will target the muscles on the top of your forearm, which will give them an overall larger apperance.
erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/08/09, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the imput...it was valueable!