Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Football/Lifting Question?

MLB39
MLB39
United States
2003/11/28, 12:22 AM
Hey, I'm 14 and about 170 lbs. I want to gain 35 lbs. before next season as I hope to play Varsity football at Middle Linebacker (Two seniors leaving). I was wondering if anyone has a specific workout that would help me reach my goals, and if anyone has any input on a supplement that would also help. I've been taking Nitro-Tech for about a year and I feel it's helped a lot but I'm just curious if there is another excellent weight gainer out there.
Thanks
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/11/28, 12:55 AM
Well, i personally gained off a 4 day workout split....two days speed and explosive, one day upper body one day lower...so monday i would do squats, deadlifts, and then do some leg presses lunges, ext, and curls, then on tuesday...do a combination of snatches, on thursday i would bench, military, pullups, dips, tri extensions, curls, then on friday do power cleans, and also some jerks...on explosive days i would also do some heavy ab work.....not on non explosive don't do much more than 8 reps...but talk to your coach im sure they'll have an idea of what they want you doing...also you shouldnt' worry about body weight as you should be about the your gains in the weight room and your quickness...Football is about size.....but don't be mistaken...it's about good size and quickness, the bigger guy doesn't win...the stronger quicker one does, anyway i hope some of this helps, and good luck in seeking your position.

--------------
If hard work and persistence were the keys to success, most people would opt to pick the lock.~Dick
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/11/28, 01:47 PM
Hey man...I played middle linebacker myself. I have a question though...if you weigh 170lbs at 14 years old, what does your body fat percentage look like? Being big in football is good, but at middle linebacker, if you are too big and have no speed, you'll be pretty useless. Richardjst has an excellent point when he says football is about size AND quickness. Good luck.

--------------
OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES, EVERYONES GOT ONE. NOW, SHUT-UP AND GROW!!!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/11/28, 08:49 PM
yea even though i have never played football in my life lol i wouldn't worry abotu trying to gain weight at ur age, cause if u gain to much it could slow u down, i'd focase alot on the core lifts though and do them fast and go for speed, do some runing, maybe a lil sprinting, do some cleans bench pressing, incline to, deadlifts and squates do lots of abb work so ur core is strong, also just my openion but nitro tech is a waste of money, but if it works for u go ahead

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
MLB39
MLB39
United States
2003/11/29, 02:37 PM
Well Jdelts, I'm pretty lean as I'm 5'11-6' and I run a 4.8 40. Does anyone else have some useful info on supplements?
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2003/11/29, 04:38 PM
Just go to your local GNC or nutrition store and compare some labels...everything doesn't work the same for everybody...

--------------
If hard work and persistence were the keys to success, most people would opt to pick the lock.~Dick
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/11/30, 05:16 PM
Well mlb39...you did not give us any of that info at first. now that we have the info, we can give you the "useful" info you requested. Hope that's USEFUL enough for you.

--------------
OPINIONS ARE LIKE BUTTHOLES, EVERYONES GOT ONE. NOW, SHUT-UP AND GROW!!!
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2003/12/01, 01:48 AM
14 holy shit! and you're taking Nitro-tech, wow, but if that's ur goal who gives a damn what anybody else thinks, I started taking weight gainer 1850 from GNC when i was 15, and that helped alot , but i was skinny, at the start of my junior year till the beginning of my senior varsity football season i took Mega Whey from GNC and gained 40 lbs. of lean muscle mass i went from 180 to 220 in like a year, that's what you should work on building so you don't get all the fat gains which slows u down, but I am also a defensive end, the starting middle linebacker on my team was like 250lbs. and ran 4.7, he was bulky but he had all that muscle on him. What grade are you in anyway? If i were you i would be doing lots of sprints and speed drills, one day do sprint endurance stuff like
4half gassers which is 4 100yds. sprints , and then do like 20's and 40's yd. sprints the next day, but gradually increase ur endurance sprints as you go if you think half gassers are easy or need something tougher then do full gassers which are 200yds. each , and make sure you run as hard and as fast as you can or else they wont be worth as much. Trust me these helped me and everyone on my team a whole lot, and even in the offseason when i ran this stuff and berely anyone else did it makes a big difference. But once you've got the strength and speed everything will fall into place, if you can't be as strong or as fast be more skillful, because I'm sure as hell not the strongest or fastest guy on my team but football is all about skill. I have gone up against OL men that were really fat and tall but had jack shit skillz on blocking and i ran right by them. Anyway Best of luck to ya, never give up!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/12/01, 03:23 PM
perosnally i think nitro tech is a waste of money just an expensive pee so is cell tech lol

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/12/03, 12:48 PM
Here is a sample 4-day plan:
wt x reps x sets
Monday:
Power or Hang clean
3 x 4 1 x 3
Try to get 3 singles over 85%
2 min TBs

Squats
wt x 5 x 3
2 min TBS

Glute-ham or leg curl
5 x 3 or 10 x 3

RDL
wt x 10 x 3

Back hypers
10 x 3

Heavy abs

Tuesday
Bench Press
wt x 5 x 3

Incline Dumbbell press
wt x 5 x 3

Push Jerk
wt x 3 x 3

Pull-downs
wt x 10 x 3

seated rows
wt x 10 x 3

Triceps of some sort
10 x 3

abs

Wed: rest

Thursday

Snatch(hang or power)
3 x 3

Deadlift
5 x 3

Split squats
10 x 3

Hamstring work
10 x 3

Reverse Hypers
10 x 3

Calve extensions
10 x 3

Abs

Friday:

Incline Bench
5 x 3

DB Bench
5 x 3

Pull-ups:
3 sets of 10 or whatever you can get in each set

DB Rows
10 x 3

1-arm DB Shoulder press
wt x 10 x 3 keep working until all sets are complete

Triceps exercise
10 x 3

abs

Running
wk 1
100 yrd sprint x 12 16 sec goal time 45 sec rest

wk 2
100 yrd sprint x 14 16 sec goal time 45 sec rest

wk 3
100 yrd sprint x 16 16 sec goal time 45 sec rest

Try the weight cycle for 3 weeks and the running plan then write back for more.

Do the sprints on tuesday
Do agility work on friday; pick 3 to 4 agility drills and perform 4 reps for each one