Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Football injuries

skylar
skylar
United States
2001/05/13, 07:09 PM
Anybody check out that article on "where they are now" with their war wounds. Its pretty sad to read about people like Earl Campbell, Johnny U, and many more that have such disabling conditions. People who have chronic back problems(me) can certainly relate as you try to get out of bed sideways in the a.m. and it takes tylenol and 1 hour to straighten out. Young warriors take heed.
Spedward
Spedward
United States
2001/05/13, 08:57 PM
I know....my best freind is the center of Dame...and he is only 20 years old and already has arthritis in is right hand...
keith
keith
United States
2001/05/16, 12:14 AM
Hi skylar , I think I told you or maybe someone else that I too have a bad back for about 20yrs now and you do learn how to compensate for them & I can relate to anyone who has problems and pain. I haven't read the article but from my own experiance I have seen some people give up with less and others you wonder how they do it. There was a little guy by the name of Jared Horomona in Muscle Media (April addition) that has ceregral palsy and he won the inspirational grand champion in EAS's body for life challenge . If you can get a copy please read his story, It will make the rest of us feel like big old babies.
merlinhog
merlinhog
United States
2001/05/16, 07:11 PM
Skylar,
If you have HBO, did you catch the piece on the old defenseman and how screwed up their bodies are? One player has had something like 25 surgeries and probably will be crippled by the time he's 50. Sad stuff, but none of them regret it since they did what they loved. That's a rare thing.
skylar
skylar
United States
2001/05/19, 07:04 PM
The only problem I have is that most of these players believe that they should get Worker's Comp from these injuries. They can in CA if they played just one gamle here, don't have to be a resident. They get paid mucho bucks and don't think about their health seriously because once again its taken care of. Magic Johnson said awhile ago that athletes should get paid bug bucks due to the fact that they may get hurt and lose their earning capacity. Well if you make millions then you should be able to take care of your own. I will never in my lifetime come close to those earnings and gotl 10,000 dollars for my back injury that required me to pursue a different profession and have limited range of motion. Let's get real here. They ldon't regret it but then want it all "paid for" for life.
Ruffsapp99
Ruffsapp99
United States
2001/05/26, 11:36 AM
Yeah I read that sports illus. I'm 16, play football, and I'm already having problems w/ my back, I don't know how many guys on the team have major problems.