Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Flys hurt my shoulders.

Holderz
Holderz
United States
2005/09/12, 08:26 PM
Hi,

I am a 15 year old male, and when I do dumbell flys, my shoulders really hurt. Is there anything I can do to help this? Thanks. :)
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2005/09/12, 09:05 PM
I'm a firm believer that if it hurts, don't do it. You don't say where it hurts so that leaves a lot open. Without knowing any details it sounds like your shoulders, specifically the delts might need some work. Post a little more info about what you're doing and the kind of shape you are in and you'll get an answer.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
bropie
bropie
Canada
2005/09/12, 09:38 PM
check your form..

Sit down on a flat bench with a dumbbell in each hand. Then lie back, keeping the dumbbells close to your chest. Lift the dumbbells over your chest by extending your arms. Maintain a slight bend in your elbows. Keep your hips and shoulders flat on the bench and your feet on the floor. Lower the dumbbells to the sides of your body in an arc-like motion. At the lowest point, your bent elbows should be on a horizontal plane even with the bench. Slowly bring the weights back up over your chest in an arc. The bend in your elbows should stay the same throughout the exercise.

also could be rotator cuff trouble.. look into some internal and external rotation exercises.. 3 sets 10 reps a piece
2005/09/12, 09:40 PM
Might just need to lighten the weight.

--------------
Sometimes life is like herding cats.

Charlie
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/09/13, 10:20 AM
How far are you moving the weights? Some people try to touch the floor.......if your flexable enough go a head, but for the most don't.

Make sure your elbows are slightly bent. Not straight.

Try doing somthing to warm up 1st.....like bench press

Try machines, tell your flexabilty gets better.

--------------
Friends don\'t let friends squat high...

People don\'t reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2005/09/13, 10:36 AM
What kind of a pain is it?

--------------
each to their own
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/09/13, 04:53 PM
Both Bropie and Charlie make the needed points on these. First, weight may be an issue. If not, then form is. Many folks say to keep the dumbbells stretched completely out all the way down. While true, it provides a hell of a stretch, also taxes the overused anterior delts to the max. Work as much or more anterior delts doing this than any chest.

Bent arm flies are really the way to go, keep tension on the muscle you are really trying to work, the chest.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com