Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Flax Seeds and Oil

hollers2
hollers2
United States
2005/03/10, 06:40 PM
Alright, anybody out there with the skinny on this stuff, let er' rip. I've seen dozens of posts and multiple recipes with tips on adding this flax seeds or oils to your diet. And, like always, I take it for what it's worth.A majority of you do this full time, and talk to much more health conscious people than I have at my disposal (I mean c'mon, I'm only in the military). So I do a lot of reading and research on what I find here and also the recommended diets/supplements, etc. Flax seeds and oils are a good source of protein, and also reportedly helps with cancer and heart disease prevention. But some researches are claiming also, that it is also a contributing factor to prostate cancer.
I really am not advocating for this and definitely not against it. I just want to know if anyone else has more fact-based knowledge on the pros v cons on this stuff. Any additions to this are much welcomed and appreciated!

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100100459/
(I got the above info from MSN Health and Fitness,the biggest reason I want more FACTS on this. I'm no MSN fan)

--------------
Josh and Katie Hollers
hollers2@freetrainers.com
-We get out of life what we put into it. Be thankful we've been given alot more than we deserve.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/03/10, 07:19 PM
Check this out from "The flax council of Canada"
http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/primer.htm

And also use the search fitbuddy at the bottom of this page. There are some good posts regarding flax.

There is no protein in flax oil, it contains omegas.

I hope the link helps.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/03/10, 07:21 PM

Heres the link to the flax post in the forums.

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/pro/Message.jsp?f_ix=3&t_ix=1900

--------------

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/03/10, 08:04 PM
Actually if you are looking for the heart healthy aspects of EFA's, it is best to probably take a look at fish oils.

Flax oil is the plant source of EFA's, and very rich in lignans true. But its parent source is ALA, which is really not easily broken down into EPA/DHA. Some argument may be made to simply injest more, but this is not the case.

I suggest best case scenario is use a variety of EFA's, fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, eat fish.

And one more note, flax seed oils are not a good source of protein. Virtually 0.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
hollers2
hollers2
United States
2005/03/10, 08:08 PM
Thanks Caravan. I'll definitely do some more reading on it. Beleive it or not, there's a war goin' on over here so I have to run.
hollers2
hollers2
United States
2005/03/10, 08:13 PM
And, of course, thanks bb1, you're tips are always goldmines of info. I really don't know where the protein came from. Lately I've been programming myself to get as much protein everywhere, maybe it's finally affected me!
Thanks again!
Josh

--------------
Josh and Katie Hollers
hollers2@freetrainers.com
-We get out of life what we put into it. Be thankful we've been given alot more than we deserve.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/03/10, 08:27 PM
Only too glad to help a someone who is serving our country.

Be safe bro.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/03/10, 09:31 PM
Hey Josh....Anytime, and thanks for what you are doing.

--------------

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada