Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

First time post-er seeking advice

godfreym
godfreym
United States
2002/05/14, 09:43 PM
I am currently 6", 198lbs. I have a 36 inch waist. I would like to get to the low 190's at a comfortable 34" waste. Do I shed the weight first and then add muscle? Not sure. Any direction would be great! Ultimate goal would be to reduce my bodyfat percentage from 20% to about 8-10 %. I want to be committed!
rustyfowler
rustyfowler
United States
2002/05/14, 10:16 PM

From my experience, it is hard to get small and get big at the same time. Lift, eat alot of protein (at least a gram per pound of body weight), control your carbs (that is the hard one for me!) and you should do fine. Remember that each pound of lean muscle you add burns an additional 50 calories a day...just sitting there! Don't make the common mistake of drastically limiting your calories if you can't keep it up indefinitely...you will gain it all back and more....I have to be careful...I have a track record of doing this!
============
Quoting from godfreym:

I am currently 6", 198lbs. I have a 36 inch waist. I would like to get to the low 190's at a comfortable 34" waste. Do I shed the weight first and then add muscle? Not sure. Any direction would be great! Ultimate goal would be to reduce my bodyfat percentage from 20% to about 8-10 %. I want to be committed!
=============