Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Exercise After ACL Surgery

deejaymona
deejaymona
United States
2006/12/15, 12:03 AM
I tore my ACL in Jan 06' and am just now able to do simple exercises. I played volleyball and kick boxing but because of the injury have not been able to do much at all thus making me gain 50 lbs this year! Is there any weight loss activities that will give me results but not damage my knee?

thanks
symona
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2006/12/15, 10:21 AM
I had my icl and acl ripped out in high school in a football accident (someone spiked me with golf cleats) anyway during my rehab after of course they did the process of healing...my rehab PT was a cheerleader for UF (male) he stated the best stuff (mind you I was huge) was to start small and go for light-heavy cardio with low stress on the ligiments thats how i got into tennis doing simple lunges lights sprints is what got my leg back (mind you this is probably 4 months after surgery) lunges were probably the best for me

--------------
Jason Fox 6\'1\" 380lbs Weight Goal 300 by april 2007, 365 11/14, 12/7/06-358
shay104
shay104
United States
2007/01/26, 11:24 AM
Whether or not you've had surgery will play a big part in what you can/can't do. I am NOT a professional. I just had my 2nd ACL replacement 6 weeks ago, and am going through physycal therapy now. I can only speak from my experience and what I was instructed to do by my Doc and Therapist. A stationary bike with the pedals in front of you (opposed to the conventional, pedalling down) and the elliptical machine are 2 good cardio options, along with any weight training that does not cause pain or discomfort. Simply put, you can do anything that does not hurt.

Most importantly, good form is key. For instance, if you "limp" or favor your good leg on the elliptical, you'll only make it worse through the repetition of the excersise. Watch yourself in a mirror or window reflection and make every step deliberate.

Hopefully this helps