Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

exercise a strained/pulled muscle

roviaro
roviaro
United States
2004/05/24, 11:24 AM
I have a pulled or strained muscle somewhere either in my trap, lower neck or maybe even down near my lower pec(the pain seems to move around!). Ive let it rest for about 4wks and it feels the same. is it wise to slowly ease back into lifting lighter weights? i did some very light bench press and incline press yesterday and it seems to have loosened up the muscle. not sure if i should continue. any suggestions?
2004/05/24, 11:26 AM
If it has hurt for 4 weeks and you aren't over 70, go to the doctor.
roviaro
roviaro
United States
2004/05/24, 12:10 PM
I went to the doc two weeks ago who said to let it rest two weeks, which i did, and it feels only slightly better. should i go to a PT? I dont know what they could do for me besides tell me to rest - and i dont want to go to a doc to hear that.
2004/05/24, 12:15 PM
Sometimes doctors need the 2x4 upside the head to get their attention. It's aggrevating I know. Most strains, sprains and pulls should heal in 4 weeks. You could try a couple of weeks of light workouts but that may aggrevate the condition if its more serious than originally thought.

I always make the doc explain exactly what is wrong. You may need to go and get his attention.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
roviaro
roviaro
United States
2004/05/24, 12:25 PM
thanks charlie, you are definately right. i went to a sports med doc who basically looked at me for about 45 seconds. "rest" is what he prescribed - without giving me much more of what to do, let ALONE what was actually. it started with a shoulder workout that led to a pain in my pec minor area. a few days later, that pain was gone, but had moved to my trap area. then when i lifted weights yesterday, my trap felt fine, but my pec minor hurt just a tiny amount. tell me that isnt strange! no wonder why the doc didnt want to say what was wrong, he, like others ive talked to, have no idea.

princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/05/24, 02:06 PM
Go see the PT rather than the doctor. The PT can use other treatments like ultrasound as well as specific exercises to reduce stiffness. If you're still in discomfort but things are considerably better it is likely that stiffness is the major underlying problem.