Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Everyday Workout

gilberto.h
gilberto.h
United States
2010/02/09, 02:36 AM
Hi all.

My question is more about strength training than cardio. I know that to get the most out of a session you want to give adequete rest to your muscle groups to allow them time to repair and rebuild. For me though, working out is as much a mental activity as physical, and lifting weights has become a big part of that. I used to get my exercise fix exclusively by jogging (training for 10k race after 10k race), however I noticed it starting to hurt my leg joints (only 21 years old) and quit running. To keep on exercising I joined a gym and currently work out everyday with 30min on bike or eliptical, then strength training, and finish with 2km in the pool.

I'm fine doing that much cardio everyday and can see my endurance increasing, but am unsure with weight training. Sorry for all that background but basicially my question is does doing light weight workouts inbetween heavy workouts still prevent muscle recovery.

In effect if I target one muscle group for an agressive workout one day, then give it one day off, can I then target it again for light workouts for another few days before hitting it hard again?

Any sort of information on a weight lifting plan not to bulk up and not to just tone, but which allows you to get a few heavy reps in everyday, along with lighter reps on a large number of muscles would be appreciated.

With what I am doing I don't feel anything more than usual fatigue in muscle groups after a heavy workout which I take to be good but I'm sure I could still benefit from other peoples experience. Also for anyone complaining of tight/sore muscles one time I didn't have time after workingout my shoulders to swim and couldn't raise my arms to brush my teeth the next morning. So I don't think overtaxing my muscles by swimming factors in at all.

Thanks!