Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

Edema after a fitness competition

luvtocompete
luvtocompete
United States
2004/08/28, 08:30 PM
Hello all,

I recently competed in a figure competition on June 26th. Since then, I have had a lot of edems, up to 10# on any given day. It is mostly around my eyes and in my abdominal area. I drink 1-1.5 gallons of H2O per day and watch my sodium intake. Somedays it makes me lethargic and tired, decreases my performance in the gym. The Dr's says there is nothing wrong with me. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Sincerely, Luv to compete
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/08/29, 11:09 AM
Did you manipulate your potassium and sodium before the competition?

Maybe you aren't getting enough sodium?

--------------
"Achieving worthwhile goals requires a consistent investment of time and effort on your part....The rewards you receive will be in direct proportion to the consistent effort you put forth."
Brian Johnston, The Power of The Champions
luvtocompete
luvtocompete
United States
2004/08/29, 12:18 PM
Hello again,

2 weeks before the show, I was able to "load sodium" 1 week out, I ate around 1000 mg per day. 4 days out, I began taking Tarraxatone supplementation, on show day, I took up to 12 of these. Previous days, it was approx. 6-9 per day. I did not do anything with potassium. The deyhydration process was as follows: Wed. before show(SAT)-64 oz plus 2 cardio sessions, and 1 hour weights, Thurs, 32 oz water plus 2 cardio and 1 weights, Friday, 32oz and no workouts. Only sips after 6pm on Friday and on show day. After the show I tried to drink lots of water, and since then, consume minimum of 1 gallon per day. I do 30-40 minutes of cardio 6 days per week, and sweat like crazy. I lift for 1 hour 5 days per week. I try to keep my sodium intake around 1500-2000 per day. I have been trying to read up on all this, I know that edema after competitions is common, however, it has been 2 months. Overnight, my weight went up 2 1/2 # and I watched my sodium intake and drank lots of water yesterday. I crave salty things like nuts and peanut butter like crazy, almost like my body is lacking them. Could I be overhydrated and sodium depleted? Would that show in lab work? I responded to a diuretic- 25mg HCTZ, with a loss of 3# overnight, but the Dr's don't want me on them. I'm afraid to eat more sodium, for fear of making things worse! Help!

DanielJLove
DanielJLove
United States
2004/08/30, 11:34 AM
I am not sure, and the best person to help is probably your physician (but that sounds like things aren't going so well), but you may try just giving yourself a break. What I mean is try taking a couple of weeks off your diet and workout schedule. Eat what your body tells you to eat, even if it is salty, and see what happens. The body is a great balancing mechanism and will usually correct itself. If you are lacking intercellar sodium due to low levels, it is possible that you would have greater extracellular fluid retention (edema). It's worth a try anyway.

BB1 and Asimmer may have something better.

Daniel
luvtocompete
luvtocompete
United States
2004/08/30, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the respose. Yesterday I tried to do that, no workout, and ate more salt, and overnight, gained 3 more pounds! It is terrible. I am going to see a kidney Dr., but can't get in for a few weeks. I don't have any other symptoms other than feeling run down at times. I don't have much faith in physicians when it comes to nutrition and athletics! If anyone else has any suggestions, they are greatly appreciated!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/08/31, 10:22 AM
did you take any time off after the show? Most competitors take a week off to recover, no workouts, eat regular (still clean, but not so strict).

Do you look puffy? maybe you are just gaining your normal hydration poundage that was lost before the show, you can't expect to hold your competition weight - that is an unnatural, dehydrated state and cannot be maintained. most people maintain 5, 10 or even 20 pounds above show weight.

--------------
"Achieving worthwhile goals requires a consistent investment of time and effort on your part....The rewards you receive will be in direct proportion to the consistent effort you put forth."
Brian Johnston, The Power of The Champions
luvtocompete
luvtocompete
United States
2004/08/31, 09:12 PM
Yes, I took 1 week off from exercise, and ate clean with a few cheat meals, and then my weight stabilized about 6-7# above my show weight for a few weeks. I had a massage, and then the very next day it all started. I am holding about 7 or 8 more pounds of definate puffiness since then. I decided to cut back on my water a bit to see whether I am simply overhydrated. I was drinking a minimum of 1.5 gallons per day, sometimes more. I am cutting back to 3/4-1 gallon to see if it makes a difference. I look puffy in the abdomen and around the eyes. It makes me feel tired and lethargic, so I know it's not just normal weight gain. I am up 14# since show, and I'm pretty small, so for me, that's a lot.