Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

eating too little? not losing?

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/05, 08:25 AM
Sorry, I just reread your post.

Switch from banana to blueberries and from grape nuts to oats - you can throw it all in the blender with your protein shake.

If you are lifting heavy you may want to increase your carb intake after you lift.

I would switch your pm snack to cottage cheese or riccota and a spoonful of pb. You don't want the bread right before bed, but you do want some slower-digesting protein.

--------------
In truth, people can generally make time for what they choose to do; it is not really the time but the will that is lacking.
- Sir John Lubbock
hiame
hiame
United States
2006/02/04, 01:10 AM
Hi,
I have been lingering here for quite some time now.. and there's so many great posts, almost overwhelming!
Anyways.. I could use some advice, esp. from asimmer.... wow. your diet logs are very motivating!
I am trying to lower my body fat. I am 5'8" and 141 lbs. but at 24% body fat. I'd like to slim that down. I have a tendancy to be "obsessive" about caounting calories, and have kept a daily food log for over a year now.
I try to eat 1200 cal. a day it's usually around 1000 to 1100. I try to get 1g protein for every lb. I'd like to be at (135g.) a typical day's diet in a nutshell:

breakfast: protein shake w/ fruit & water
or & tea or coffee
1 serving Grapenuts w/ 1/2 a banana
snack: apple or orange
Lunch: Mixed salad w/ lots of greens and usually a can
of tuna... also 2 whole wheat cracker w/ nat. pb
on them
snack: whey protein mixed in H2O
Dinner: Usually a chicken breast (small) w/ steam veggies
or another salad w/ shrimp or turkey bacon.
snack: 1 slice whole wheat toast w/ natural pb

Am I eating too little? I started this diet about a year ago, dropped 10 lbs... I've kept it off.. now it's not working anymore.

Nyxtikal
Nyxtikal
United States
2006/02/04, 04:42 AM
have you checked out a nutrition program on the site? they are very useful for obtaining your goals. if anything i would say that 1200 calories is too low, but im not a professional. do you lift? building lean muscle mass will definately help you shed unwanted pounds also.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/02/04, 12:44 PM
I agree with Nyx...you need to eat more. Make sure it's clean foods (no sugars or processed crap) and you shouldn't have any problems. Otherwise 5'8" and 141 with 24% sounds perfect for a female. I wouldn't recommend you go down much further.
hiame
hiame
United States
2006/02/04, 07:55 PM
Yes, I lift. I lift hard actually. My hubby's has his CSCS, and writes me up programs all the time. I lift 3 x a week and cardio 5 x a week.
I hardly ever eat sugar.. (or anything white.. pasta, potatoes, etc..)
nothing processed either. thanks for the info, i didn't know there was a nutritional program on this site... I'll check it out.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/05, 08:19 AM
Hey,

I think you could increase your intake gardually. At 141lbs you want a minimum of 1400 calories, and that is even low.

Gradually bring up your protein intake and see how your body reacts - then add in a few extra servings of vegetables.

It sounds like your body probably thinks you are in starvation and won't give up anymore bodyfat until it is assured that there is sufficient food. (I think of it that way, anyhow).

The nutritional site here tends to be a bit high on the caloric intake. Since you know your current intake, you can gradually adjust up from that and continue tweaking the plan until you feel you have it where you want it to be.

--------------
In truth, people can generally make time for what they choose to do; it is not really the time but the will that is lacking.
- Sir John Lubbock
hiame
hiame
United States
2006/02/05, 08:04 PM
great suggestions, I take anything you say into high respect amy....
after discussing it more w/my hubby, we figured I need to make sure that my ratios are more appropriate as well. There were a few meals where it was all protein, that some whole grains could've been added & it would be a better meal.
Why do you suggest the bluberries over bananas? And the oats over grape nuts?
What are some good oats to buy at the store?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/02/06, 08:55 AM
blueberries are higher in anti-oxidants and less calories, less sugary/starchy than bananas, I just think they will serve you better if weight loss is your goal.

Oats are cleaner/more complex than grape nuts -if i am correct- aren't grape nuts a wheat product? Oats are closer to their natural state - which is a good clue that a food is better for you.

Just buy plain oats at he grocery - quaker or bulk section, doesn't matter. Avoid the pre-flavored kinds that are full of sugar.

Check the nutrition forum for recipes to make plain oatmeal more appealing.

--------------
- Sir John Lubbock
hiame
hiame
United States
2006/02/08, 09:53 PM
Thanks again... I'm going to start using the bluberries. But I love bananas! Is there a best time of day to eat them? I usually only eat half anyways.
Whenever I eat oatmeal it hurts my tummy, maybe it's too heavy for me.. I'll try it again.
Oh, BTW, since I've tried eating more calories and more balanced meals (which was about a week ago) I have already lost 2 lbs. And by body looks more defined. Well whatya know!