Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 100, Messages: 16608

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

dumb question

vwshepherd
vwshepherd
United States
2010/02/01, 11:01 AM
I had gastric bypass in 2008, and have recently began lifting again. I am trying to build muscle of course. My question is this: Is there any supplement that I can take to help with recovery time other than Creatine?

Thanks in advance,
vwshepherd
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/02/01, 12:01 PM
If you are talking about recovery from weight training, you should be consuming Protein. Creatine is to be used before exercise.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
2010/02/05, 08:35 AM
I would take Fish Oil, Multi, and Protein as basic supps and then take Creatine and Beta Alanine postworkout or before sleep for recovery.
vwshepherd
vwshepherd
United States
2010/02/06, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys, I have been taking protein supplements since I had surgery, but I've figured out the hard way that I am going to need at least double the amount that I have been getting. The multivitamin I ahve covered but the Fish Oil is something I will look into, maybe along with some Glucosamine.

Thanks again.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2010/02/10, 08:27 PM
Adequate rest is the best recovery time you can have. This may sound a bit 'common sense', but it is meant to be.

If you consistently go to the gym and are or feel weaker than the last time, chances are good that you are not recovered adequately and you need more rest time.

We all have different levels of recovery, and you need to 'find' yours. There is really no supplement on the market that will do this to any degree noticeable, though many claims are made.

--------------
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer

rivergirl3
rivergirl3
United States
2010/02/13, 09:39 AM
The surface area for absorption rates post bariatric surgery differ from absorption rates of a non altered digestive system.

Post gastric bypass patients are prone to deficiencies of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) as well as calcium. There is also an increased risk of developing anemia secondary to potentially inadequate amounts of iron, B12 and folate. Consider a good multi-vitamin and calcium taken daily if this is the case.

Check with your doctor about your interest to increase muscle mass post surgery and ask him/her for recommendations that are suitable to your needs.

Ultimately we want you to find success in your endeavors. Getting the right information is key.