Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

do i have rotator cuff problems?

cl9999
cl9999
United States
2004/09/10, 09:58 PM
Whenever I do dumbell rows, dumbbell bench press or regular bench press I'll get a burning sensation in my left shoulder, especially with heavier weights:(. Is this what a rotator cuff injury feels like? Or could it be something else? Thanks.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/09/11, 11:56 PM
1st off, have you dones somthing to hurt it?( base ball, footbal)
2nd hows your form?
3rd do you stretch, and warm up?

honestly dunno never had a cuff injury. unless you have hurt it doing somthing else, I don't think the bench press, any kind would damage a rotater cuff , unless your form is mad bad. OF coarse when I strain alot, I have pulled a hamstring and other weird crap before on a max bench press. I'd say stretch a lil more, do some light shoulder work before hand to warm up the shoulder area, and go alil lighter working out. IF it not better se someone.

--------------
if you want sympathy......from me... look between symphony and syphillis.......there you\'ll find it!
margogut
margogut
United States
2004/09/29, 04:34 PM
I had rotator cuff surgery and my doctor told me one way to know that you have an injury is to test if you can reach your hand behind your back against your body. I could't do it. My hand could only reach my waist.
NancyAnne
NancyAnne
United States
2004/10/10, 11:41 PM
This leads me to a question I have along the same line. (I'm Nancy Anne, BTW!). I slipped and fell on the ice in January up north and landed hard on my right upper body. It hurt on my right side, particularly my shoulder and upper arm, for several days. I figured it was strained muscles and would go away with rest. It has for the most part, but when I try to do shoulder work my right side just doesn't feel right. I've since been to the Dr and all appears normal. Sometimes there is pain at certain angles, sometimes no pain and it kind of makes a crunching sound (I know this is bad and stop these movements immediatly), sometimes it crunches with pain, and sometimes I seem to be able to lift with it just fine.

I want to improve the condition of this shoulder, and am concerned that before long my left shoulder is going to be significantly more developed than my right. I've been lifting very light with my right when the movement doesn't feel right in the least, so as not to let it atrophy. (Did I spell that right?) I do a couple of specific cuff exercises and they seem to help. Has anyone had this happen before? Can it ever become normal again (she asked hopefully)? Can I fix it entirely with exercise? Is there a place I can go to find out exercises that may help me even more?.......Anyone?......... Help?

Also, with the test to see if you have a cuff injury by reaching behind the body, do you mean behind the body up (from the hip) or down (from over the shoulder)? My shoulder flexibility with the standard shoulder flexibility test is worse since this injury.

By the way, I am loving this site. It has really helped with my delimma of how to lift to lose weight and still have tone. Having the exercises mapped out for me has been a real blessing and I am learning a lot with it.

Thanks a bunch, and sorry so wordy!
Nancy Anne
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/10/14, 10:22 AM
Nancy Anne, Did you see a sports medicine doctor or simply a general practitioner? A decent sports medicine doctor whould be well versed in orthopaedic assessment techniques whereas the average GP is verrry sketchy in that field.
2004/10/14, 10:35 AM
Also, you can't determine if there are tears in the cuff without an MRI. They can bend prod and poke but you won't know for sure till you MRI.

--------------
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Charlie
2004/10/21, 10:19 AM
Guys I got a question on a shoulder injury i got...

About a year ago I was doing heavy incline DB flyes....and i had a crappy spotter, I struggled to get up the weight with my left hand and instead of assist me, the guy just stood there(so much for the 5$/hr college student attendants, heh), so my left shoulder gave out, and the 110 DB came crashing down, taking out my shoulder pretty good...I can't say I had tramendous pains after that moment...but it's been like a light/moderate nagging pain ever since..I can still raise my arms..but I don't know about the reach behind the back test because I am not generally very flexible so i don't know whether it's due to this or injury....I took gloucosomine choindroitin, for a few months which made me think it went away completely but it's still with me, especially after I stopped taking the supplement, and going heavy in bench and shoulder work outs. I also noticed a big disparity in how my shoulders look...my left, hurt shoulder is much more defined, and striated compared to my right which is just bulky...It's weird...any suggestions?
2004/10/22, 05:17 AM
help
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/10/22, 12:36 PM
see someone

--------------
....I'm probably in my underwear typing this......or maybe not!
BudFox
BudFox
United States
2004/10/29, 12:01 PM
Interesting. The shoulder is way too complex to explain all the possible scenarios of what could be going on. An orthopedist (MD) would be able to give you a good answer. The thing is many are surgery hungry as it's their bread and butter. Physiatrist is more of a "Sports doc" but many of them love to give injections. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are many other conservative approaches that work quite well. A chiropractor would also be a great choice to have look at this problem. They see these types of problems all the time. A certified chiropractic sports physician or one that specializes in orthopedics is your best bet. If the DC feel's an injection is a good idea they will send you to a medical sports doctor. Sometimes having a group effort (DC, MD, PT) is the best approach.

============
Quoting from cl9999:

Whenever I do dumbell rows, dumbbell bench press or regular bench press I'll get a burning sensation in my left shoulder, especially with heavier weights:(. Is this what a rotator cuff injury feels like? Or could it be something else? Thanks.
=============
antiflux
antiflux
Canada
2004/11/24, 08:19 PM
menace3000 i have the exact same problem. i was doing incline db press and i think i was going to low and putting to much strain on my shoulders one time...... and now they KILL especially when i wake up in the morning.. its like a chronic acheing pain. Im going to a doctor this week, we'll see what he says.. i think it is tendon/ligament damage.
2004/11/24, 10:57 PM
ouch
2004/11/25, 08:27 AM
i get same thing as was described in 1st post...don't know what it is...