Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

displaced kneecaps

swindled
swindled
Canada
2006/05/19, 07:33 PM
I have went through the injury archives and although I have found a lot of general things I was wondering if anyone else had had experiance with the same knee issue I have. According to an orthopedic surgeon I have displaced kneecaps and rough cartiledge on the underneath of my knee caps. The orthopedic surgeon recommended surgery, but I am iffy of surgery because there is only a 50% chance of it getting better, and a 40% chance of it getting worse. Has anyone else had this? and what did you do about it?
mrsruccus
mrsruccus
United States
2006/08/16, 01:58 PM
well i have similar problems with my knees and most of it is heredity. sometimes during activity like dancing or running or simetimes just walking my kneecap will litterly move out of place, sometimes i have to pop it back in place or it will go back on its own. both scary and painful it runs in my family do to lose of cartiledge and rhematoid arthurites. my nana had to have both kneecaps replaced her right knee twice her cartiledge was completly gone bone against bone. so my advice to you would be find out as much info as you can. surgry may or may not be the only option, exercise or therpy. i know for me no getting around it i will eventualy go through it and have to get knee cap replacements but for now i still exercise just not as excrusiating on my knees and i make sure stretch before and after even during activity.
r3wt
r3wt
Belgium
2006/08/24, 07:44 AM
I had a cartiledge litterally taken out of my knee after a severe car accident. (a good inch²). Thing is, I didn't notice it straight away. I didn't seem to have a problem with my knee the momment I crashed. It only happened 2 months later, never the less, i did have my knee making weird noises from time to time and it ended up cracking for good. They doctor told me, If i'd come earlier he'd have done a little operation of an hour, screwed the damn thing back on my knee and that'd have been it. The only problem is, while you are letting it crack here and there, you are smoothening the cartiledge and it'll take a form you may not always find very comfortable screwing back on.. now THAT will eventually crack, and trust me, this WILL hurt.

my advice, get a radio done asap and see what can be done.

(it's either a small operation of 45 mins or 3 hours and a stappeled knee, hehe)

good luck.
swindled
swindled
Canada
2006/10/26, 10:38 PM
thank you for all your help!! I'll get it checked out as soon as I can!