Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Dieting by 'thirds'

crackerjack
crackerjack
United Kingdom
2004/02/22, 03:40 PM
Okay, so I don't really mean 'diet' I despise the word. But, I liked the title so I"ll leave it.

I'm currently reviewing my eating habits and trying to make some changes, given that what I've been doing for the last several months is not producing the results I want. In keeping with my belief that to produce long term changes rather than frustration, I need to take things a step at a time, I decided to go at it a third of the day at a time, begining with the hours before lunch.

What does a 'good day look like for the rest of you? What kinds of things should I add or avoid? I usually do my workout in the morning - does that affect how or what I eat? Sometimes all I have room for is a few bites, what's little but goes a long way?

And because I know you always ask for some background to better tailor your advice, here is a bit about what I'm doing now: After reading BB1's latest entry about dieting in another forum, I seem to fall in the 'stubborn fat, moderate activity' category looking for a nicely balanced, liveable way of eating. I never eat packaged cookies and cakes or chips - I actually don't like them, so I make my own (bread as well) and throw in 'extras' like whey or flax seed or wheat germ, etc. I try to have 'good fats' like avocado, walnuts and olive oil, though my brief flurtation with flax seed oil did not go well. We eat out one evening a week (chinese or indian usually) and average a fast food lunch once a week (which I split with someone else 30/60 - i have the 30). I prefer small amounts of 'real' ingredients rather than 'low fat' versions and never use artificial sweetners.

Thanks for any suggestions you care to make.

CJ

agamble
agamble
United States
2004/02/22, 03:59 PM
Well I don't know if this is perfect but I'll give an idea of a 'typical' day for me.
5:00 Wake
5:30-6:00 Cardio
6:30 Oatmeal/wheat germ/strawberries/Protein Drink
9:30 Egg White omelette w/veggies/FF Cheese/Canadian bacon
12:30 4 oz Tuna/Chicken Salad w/olive oil dressing/Cup Veggies/beans
3:30 Protein drink or 1/2 Myoplex bar fruit
4:30 Weights
5:30 Post workoutshake/protein/simple carbs
7:00 4-6 oz. lean meat/brown rice/cup veggies/salad w/olive oil
9:30 snack/nuts or egg white omelette
crackerjack
crackerjack
United Kingdom
2004/02/23, 07:48 AM
That looks pretty reasonable. I don't get up nearly as early as you! 7 am is early for me.

Thanks for your input!

CJ
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/02/23, 10:30 AM
Also, I manage a cheat meal usually with baked potato on Saturday, and I substitute pasta for the rice 1 night per week. I also go vegetarian for 1 dinner per week. I add my fats (flax) with my breakfast meal.
crackerjack
crackerjack
United Kingdom
2004/02/24, 03:32 AM
i think i can cope with something similar without too much altering at all. There is just one thing that isn't so easy. Are the protein drinks, bars, etc necessary for a low key person like me? They aren't in my budget at all :(

CJ
agamble
agamble
United States
2004/02/24, 12:47 PM
Based on your goals I would say that you probably don't need the protein drinks and/or bars. However, you do need to make sure that you are getting enough good protein in your diet on a daily basis. After all, it is best to get your protein from whole food sources. For me the bars are more of a convenience thing anyway. Have you looked at the 'bodybuilders grocery list' in the diet forum? If not check it out. It will give you some good ideas for protein, carbs, etc. Make sure to construct your diet so that it not only meets your needs but is something that you can live with. If you make it too restrictive you will have a hard time following it. Then what would be the point. Good Luck