Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Days for Squat and Deadlift?

dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2006/11/27, 07:17 PM
Alright, so exercises such as the squat and deadlift are two of the best muscle building exercises. My question is what days does everyone out there do their squats and deadlifts on? I always want to get a good workout when I do squats and deadlifts, so I try to separate the days. Sometimes I become mentally stressed out because I think to myself that if I do squats the day before deadlifts, that I am cheating my deadlifts, and vice versa. Also, I want to hit both exercises twice a week. Any help would be great. If doing squats and deadlifts twice a week is too much, should I do a light day and heavy day? Thanks.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/27, 07:44 PM
Why not back and Bi on Monady (Deadlift) and Legs on Friday (Squats)?
adalos
adalos
United States
2006/11/27, 09:30 PM
i put them as far apart as possible, since they both work many of the same core muscles and generally take (me) longer to recooperate from than other exercises.
2006/11/27, 09:45 PM
why not have a 'deadlift' or 'pulling' day and a 'squat' or 'lowerbody' day....

Generally it's hard to do both twice a week but there are some programs that have you doing these 2-3 days week....essentially you'll be doing just a few basic exercises on a 5x5 scheme...

check out www.sherdog.com strength and power forum...they have programs like that discussed in the FAQ and some fairly new posts...

You may also want to check out Westside template in the S/P forum on freetrainers...

How frequently you can do these exercises basically depends on how heavy/intense you're going as well as what the rest of your workout schedule and life obligations are.......
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2006/11/28, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Menace, do you think I would get significant gains doing each only once a week? Also,any other thoughts on separating body part days. For instance, I know there are such routines as "push" days and "pull" days, however I am not a fan of doing biceps and back, or chest and triceps etc. on the same day. I end up doing the more important exercise (such as bench press or lat pulldowns) first as I should, but I hate the thought of not giving my biceps, for example, the best workout I could have given them if they werent on the same day as back. Any suggestions on a program that would avoid these things, yet still allow me to hit most body parts 2 times a week would be great. Thanks.
2006/11/29, 12:57 AM
You can make fantastic gains doing big exercises once a week or even less...I have done deadlifts once every 2-3 weeks and squats every other week and had very good gains...granted i was going very heavy but point being is that you can get great gains with infrequent workouts...once a week works good for most people...

Do pull ups not pull downs...

Your biceps get plenty of work from rows, chins, pulls, deadlifts...I havent trained my biceps with isolation lifts in a long while and when I do it's usually 1-2 sets at the end of a random workout...guess what? they are the same size as they were and just as strong if not more so...

Forget the bs about having a separate 'arms' day or singling out small muscles...what is the point of training arms twice a week? What do you think works your arms more....curling 30s or doing chin ups with your bodyweight?...sure it's more convenient to split your workout into bodypart...but try doing that in real life...

Why not try to do total body trainign 2-3 times week? You can hit most big exercises more frequently....
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/11/29, 10:35 PM
i used to do

mon chest
tues back( includes deads)
wed off....cardio abs?
thurs shoulders, bis
fri off
sat legs, tris
sun off

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2006/11/30, 10:32 PM
I appreciate the advice.
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2006/11/30, 10:33 PM
I appreciate the advice.