Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Chest spasms?

2004/07/07, 11:13 AM
About twice a year, I have small episodes where I have fairly severe pains in my chest when I inhale. It feels like it is originating from beneath my pec muscles, almost as if it's in between my ribs in my chest. Normally the pain lasts no more than a few seconds, but at times the pains happen continuously over a span of a few minutes. I've always dismissed these as chest spasms, but should I give them more attention? I ask this now after all these years because I got the pains during a meeting at work and nearly had to leave the room. Any advice is appreciated.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
2004/07/07, 11:23 AM
I get somthing similar when I drive long distances and drink water. Sodas actually alleviate it. Weird huh? Its some kind of gastric deal. I had it checked. It was nothing.

You will probably rest easier if you get it checked.Better safe than sorry.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
2004/07/12, 11:56 AM
Gastric deal? Can you elaborate on that? I had another attack today (~30 seconds) that pretty much had me slumped over on my desk with tears in my eyes. Luckily none of my coworkers were around to either call 911 or laugh at me.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
2004/07/12, 12:11 PM
I get sharp pains at times in the upper chest. I assume they are gastric because a change of position or carbonated beverage relieves it. They are rarely as painful as you describe. Several docs over the years have told me that gastric pain in the esophagus can immitate the chest pains from heart problems. How long since you had a stress test. Its worth checking out.

I've had these kind of extra "heartbeats" for about 25 years. It literally feels like your heart is cutting flips in your chest. They scared the hell out of me and it took a couple of years to believe the docs that nothing was wrong.

The only reason I mention it is because chest pains are scary. Get it checked. You'll rest easier.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie