Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

chest pain?

ReD-BoXeR
ReD-BoXeR
Australia
2004/09/30, 12:39 AM
this is how it started
5 month ago I use to do sit-ups and push-ups every day at night b4 going to bed
for push-ups i use to do around 30-50
and then sit-ups 50+ upto 70
and then rest again for like 30sec and get back to do another 50
one day i woke up my left arm was like felling asleep there a bit of pain in my left side of my chest upper chest where all my muscles are and it was like this for more than 3days i thought it was my heart then i went to ER.
they check everything and they said nah its not your heart.
so i went back home after one week the pain on my left arm and my chest went away

i stopped doing sit-ups and push-ups !!!
for month (june)
then the next month i went back to them that was in (july) I use to doing it everyday same as before more then 50+ sit-ups and around 30 push-ups a day at night
I remember that one day i did sit-ups in mid of july I did around 100 at once then rested for 30sec-to 60sec then went back and did another around 75-100 sit-ups
the next day i felt the pain on my left arm again and upper left chest where my muscular system are. I didnt pay much of attention to it.
So I went to sleep in mid of night i woke up with very strong pinches on my left chest dont know where exactly but it was in my mid chest i know it was in my left chest I think it was left side of my left chest ) closer to my left arm ) so this strong pinches made me so scared i went back to the hospital again nothing show up and the test showed nothing wrong with my heart!!!
then after that i thought it might be becoz of the sit-ups
now its been 5month and i still have some pain in my left chest where my muscular system is and sometime i have pinches in different places of my left chest.

My question is
is it muscular problem? and how come its not healing is damaged so bad ? When i lift my both arms I feel that my left arm isnt strong as the right arm. And sometimes i feel my left arm a bit sleepy.

thanx sorry for my english, english isnt my first language
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/09/30, 04:26 AM
red-boxer, it certainly sounds like it may be muscular, or possibly a trapped nerve. If the problem's been going on for five months, maybe it's time you saw someone about it. How about seeing a physio or a doctor?
ReD-BoXeR
ReD-BoXeR
Australia
2004/09/30, 06:43 AM
I ve seen a doc, he never recommend me to see a physio if this pain wont get better then I am going to see physio.
ReD-BoXeR
ReD-BoXeR
Australia
2004/09/30, 09:00 PM
hey guys
I wanna ask the xperts ppl are there musculars which takes more than month or year to recover?
and if I dont treat it will it get worse?
ReD-BoXeR
ReD-BoXeR
Australia
2004/10/01, 01:46 AM
guys if you say its my muscles or nerve. Than why when I touch where there is pain in my chest or in my biceps or in my shoulder it doesnt hurnt me more.
isnt where muscles are damages if you touch them it will hurt more you feel of stronger pain?
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/10/01, 03:53 AM
Muscles injured a while ago will tend to stop being tender to touch, but may become stiff, causing further pain on use.

It's very difficult to give more specific advice on a message board. Doctors and physios sometimes have difficulty diagnosing things and they have the benefit of years of training and also of actually examining the area, so I don't think trying to further guess, or theorise what the problem might be would be appropriate.

All I can add is that when you first saw the doc he may have been so focused on ruling out a cardiac cause for your pain that other things, such as treatment for an injury, were not considered.

In addition to not being well placed to diagnose your problem, I also can't offer any treatment! I really think that an appointment with a dr or a physio is the next thing to do.

Good luck
ReD-BoXeR
ReD-BoXeR
Australia
2004/10/01, 04:45 AM
thank you again u are really helping
I am positive that its not my heart becoz I ve done all the test for any heart problems from EKG also EKG while i am running and blood test all are normal and I am 18years old male so still too young for kind of heart problem :big_smile: also no family medical history with heart:big_smile: i think the best thing to do is to go to physio.
more advices are welcomed thanx
jluar
jluar
Philippines
2004/10/09, 08:09 AM
Hi Red-Boxer! I am experiencing exactly the same left chest pain. Like you, I do push ups and sit-ups almost everyday, 30 times and 3 repititions each. Then one day I had felt pain in my left chest and I thought it was a heart problem. I stopped doing push-ups and the pain was gone. Then later on, i started doing push-ups and sit-ups, again the pain went back. Now, everytime I do push ups the pain will come back. Maybe this a muscle injury, i dont know really. Im also worried about it. I havent gone to a doctor yet.
jluar
jluar
Philippines
2004/10/09, 08:17 AM
Maybe I should stop doing push ups forever but i want to stay fit. Just today I exercised in the morning. Had sit-ups and stuffs but didnt do push ups. Right now while typing, im still feeling a slight pain in my left chest :). Do you think I should see a doctor?
ckinsobe
ckinsobe
United States
2004/10/29, 11:31 AM
Hi!
I started working out with a trainer a few months ago and was doing great. He had to leave suddenly and I have now two new trainers. They have a slightly more intense routine for my upper body/core and i have been experiencing upper left chest pain now for a few weeks. I had my heart checked and am ok, and my doctor put me on antacid meds since my acid levels shot up when I started excercising. (I used to have heartburn while working out this is now gone if and when I take the antacid that day-Prilosec). My upper chest pain is annoying. I don't think it is my lungs since my breathing is fine. I think it must be some of the excercises I have been doing.The pain moves around a bit from back to left to right and to my breast, but is onl;y on my left. I also have more tangled muscles on the left side due to a shoulder operation when I was a kid.The pain varies in intensity but yesterday I took a dance class and it botherd me while I was moving aorund. When I swin though I donlt feel it at all. Any ideas?

============
Quoting from jluar:

Hi Red-Boxer! I am experiencing exactly the same left chest pain. Like you, I do push ups and sit-ups almost everyday, 30 times and 3 repititions each. Then one day I had felt pain in my left chest and I thought it was a heart problem. I stopped doing push-ups and the pain was gone. Then later on, i started doing push-ups and sit-ups, again the pain went back. Now, everytime I do push ups the pain will come back. Maybe this a muscle injury, i dont know really. Im also worried about it. I havent gone to a doctor yet.
=============
sexy_dex_2007
sexy_dex_2007
United States
2010/02/11, 12:28 PM
i have just started working out and i do pushups. i do about 50 pushups 3 times a day. i have tender muscles in my arms and chest now. i figured the arms are normal seeing that i use them to do the pushups, but my chest muscles are also sore and so is my lower abdomen. is this normal for pushups?

--------------
Dexter T. Brown
rivergirl3
rivergirl3
United States
2010/02/13, 08:45 AM
Chest pain, if your MD ruled out a cardiac condition via diagnosis (ECK, nitroglycerin sublingual tab during pain event, increase shortness of breath/pain with exercise, etc.) you might want to investigate a structural/skeletal nerve impingement.

An impingement of a nerve or nerves will create tingling in the extremities (similar to the feeling of your arm falling asleep), and muscle weakness to the affected limb since the muscles are not being innervated properly.

A good chiropractor may be a resource for you or another form of doctor/health practitioner who focuses on structural alignment.