Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 968, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Can't do a particular exercise...

vsavatar
vsavatar
United States
2010/03/18, 10:40 PM
I'm using the FT Pro weight loss / definition program, and I've noticed two problems:
1. The gym doesn't have all the machines I need. I've been able to use free weights to get around most of those issues though, and the remainder, I've found other machines that work the same muscles.
2. This is the one where I don't know what to do with it. It has me doing dips behind the back to work the triceps. Here's the problem. I weigh 238, the vast majority of which is above the waistline, and I have very little upper body strength to speak of. I cannot sling the full weight of my torso like that, just like I can't do pushups properly.

Is there something else I can do to compensate for not being able to do that exercise? I suppose I could do more reps of some of the other stuff, but I'm limited by the few number of tricep machines there and I'm no expert with creating new exercises with free weights. Any help here?
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2010/03/19, 01:51 PM
ThDips behind the back are primarily for triceps and chest. I realize this can be hard for you, as it is an extremely hard movement in any case. What you might want to try is Close grip press, done in lying position on a bench with a barbell being held by gripping close together and pressing upward.. Since you are a pro member you can swap exercises in the manage your workout section where it will also show a video of how to do the exercise.

If you can even do one dip that would be great as you will eventually gain the courage and stregnth to do another the following week. Try it.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
yazmama
yazmama
United States
2010/04/28, 10:48 AM
Just curious, I don't have a bench - how do I do this exercise at home?:surprised:

--------------
Remember to live, love and laugh~
2010/05/06, 09:04 PM
yazmama, you could possibly try it with a dining chair.

--------------
madmama

It may be difficult but it is possible