Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Calories too low?

curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/06/23, 06:29 PM
Ok, so youve probably heard this 100 times before, but Im confused about this whole calorie buisness!

I understand calorie theory and bmr etc. According to the calculators I use to work out my bmr etc, I should need around 1150 as a basal rate.

Im 5'0.5, weigh 46kgs and am a female by the way!

So given that I exercise 6 times a week at the moment, 35-45 intense cardio (cross trainer+exericse bike) Plus strength training, also probably an hour or so a day walking, id probably say nearing power walking (I have a dog....). Then my everyday activity, Id hazard a guess at about 1750cals to maintain?

So why is it that at the moment im eating 1200-1300& only losing small amounts (0.2-0.7kgs a week).

My aim isnt hugely weight loss, id like to lose a couple of kgs, but more in the process of shape changing rather than setting out to do it. Im only eating so little because im worried that seen as im not losing much on this low, thus defying my metabolic rate? If I were to eat more id gain wildly!

Just for a little bit more info, ive been eating my cals in a cycle of about 1150, 1350, 1150 so on... rather than 1300 everyday.

So what should I do. Am I in starvation mode or what?

Im confused!

Thankyou for reading my tale of woe anyway!

dart368
dart368
United States
2007/06/24, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of WEIGHT you are losing. But instead, look at changes in your body and if you are seeing more definition in your body. Are you muscles looking more toned and do you see your body fat decreasing? These in my opinion are much more desireable than being able to be at a certain weight. One dietician asked me what my ideal weight would be. I told her at 5'5", I would like to be 240 pounds. She looked at me funny and I explained that if I was 240 of solid muscle, I would be happy. But then again, being that I am 182, if I was 170 of solid muscle, I would also be happy. Don't go off of the scale too much. You sound like you know what you are doing and I am sure you are doing it right. Keep with it and of course, don't just take my advice...I'm no expert. :-)
curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/06/24, 01:25 PM
Thanks for replying!

I definatly can see a change, my muscles are looking more toned, but im conscious of not wanting my body to be in starvation mode or not eating adequately to continue to build muscle/change my shape, or slow it.

Ive got some idea of what im doing, I havnt just gone into it blindly, its also something I want to dedicate myself to long term.

I guess, despite what I am aware of theres still something in the back of my head that says 'eating less&doing more=better results'.

I think im doing ok, Im doing cardio, working all my major muscle groups, keeping hydrated, trying to eat small meals spaced out etc.

I just dont want to be starving my body through ignorance!
dart368
dart368
United States
2007/06/25, 01:46 AM
I think I was in the same frame of mind a month or two ago. I was obsessing with it. Trying to not eat too much and not eat too little. Following up my workouts, especially my runs with food because of fear of losing muscle. Then, I started relaxing a little and not worrying too much about it and sticking to the basics. It works just as well as not being obsessive-compulsive about it.

I think you are going to do fine and in no time, you will see even more results when you look in the mirror. You will say to yourself, "Hey, I am looking pretty good." :-)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/25, 06:10 PM
I answered your post in a nother forum, you are eating too little for your goals and your activity level.

--------------

While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
- Ben Franklin
dart368
dart368
United States
2007/06/26, 01:35 AM
Okay, never mind what I said...asimmer is higher on the food chain than I am (She knows way more about this than me). :-) Go with what she says.
curlykim
curlykim
United Kingdom
2007/06/28, 01:19 PM
I have taken in asimmers advice and am appreciative of it, but I appreciate yours too! Lower on the food chain here maybe, but all opinons are welcome :)