Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Calorie deficit help

ALlyz0r
ALlyz0r
Canada
2010/02/13, 12:37 PM
Ok...I've been a freetrainer member for quite some time but I've never really posted on the boards. I don't know if i can convey this properly in a paragraph but I need some advice. I'm an active 24 year old woman. I go to the gym 4-6 days a week and i lift (and i lift heavy) and I run for half an hour (at least 6mph). I also do martial arts pretty much everyday and double classes some days. Plus i have outdoor hobbies (horses, biking, hiking, climbing). I have a bodybugg which calculates my burn and on an active day i burn up to 4600 cals and a normal day about 3600-4000. I -know- my metabolism is screwed up it's a long story but in my late teens my sister joined curves and i found her stupid 1200 cals is the magic number book (UGH why why why) and i was training a lot at that point too...doing HIIT runs and gymming and swimming all the time. I dropped a bunch of weight but i have a lot of adverse side affects and gained it all back slowly with the stress of university.
The problem I am facing now is that I'm gaining weight at a 1000-1500 calorie deficit. I know that it can take time to reboost my metabolism (i already have been eating lots of meals often and all that jazz so please don't talk to me like I'm stupid :/). And no it's not just that im gaining weight as extra muscle I'm about 55lbs overweight. I am getting stronger as I am lifting more every week but quite frankly I'm busting my buns over here and I'm getting frustrated because i feel like it is all for nothing because i am not seeing very many changes. so yeah :/ not sure if anyone can help. I'm 5'9 and 135lbs of LEAN mass but i weigh 220 right now...which is yuck..even though everyone undershoots my weight by a lot (apparently i don't look that big). I don't want to carry it well! or at all! I'm also a graduating university student so inevitably i do have a bit of stress in my life...but my big day is in 3 months and i want to feel good about how i look - my goal is not to be a twig i understand i have a muscular build but I'm not sure where to go from here and i was hoping someone maybe has experience with this.
returnofplex
returnofplex
United States
2010/02/21, 12:00 PM
I think that your going waaaay to hard at it. If you are coming in at a 1000-1500 calorie deficit every day, your body might be hoarding calories. 500-700 may be a safer bet. This may be a stupid question but are you accounting for all of the calories you're eating during the day? There's a lot that can slip through the cracks without knowing it.
ALlyz0r
ALlyz0r
Canada
2010/02/22, 11:49 AM
When I measure..I measure everything either by cups or by weight. I'd be pretty uncomfortable eating 3500+ calories a day and that is a LOT of food in terms of clean/cleanish foods. Thanks for replying though.