Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Calorie Confusion!

njariesgirly
njariesgirly
United States
2007/04/05, 09:00 AM
OK, I am a little upset with myself. I used to eat 800 or less calories years back & was very thin 108-110. I'm only about 5ft 2", and I have a small frame. I started to up my calories slowly through the years. On this site, I calculated 1300 calories for myself. I also added good fats which I really never have done before & more protein & oatmeal. I exercise at the gym for about an hour. I do the treadmill or elliptical from 30-40 minutes 5 days a week. I also use the machines & do some weights. I am upset because I have not lost one pound & I am gaining instead!!! I truly want to drop my calories way down to 500 to lose the weight, but it does not seem like a healthy way to do this. The issue is that I have a closet filled with these pretty summer clothes that I can no longer fit into! I would truly love to drop to 110. I always felt healthy & good about myself at this weight. I just do not understand why this is so hard to eat helathy, work out & not see one bit of results! Maybe I am not combing food properly? Is there specific times a day to eat fruit or carbs? Any advice here I would appreciate! :big_smile::love:
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/05, 09:20 AM
Perhaps the weight you are gaining is muscle.

How do your clothes fit compared to before. Are they looser in some spots, tighter in others? Sometimes tighter in others is not a bad thing.

Muscle is more dense than fat, therefore a pound of fat takes up more volume than a pound of muscle.

A proper diet is essential. If you don't eat enough, the body kicks into survival mode and starts saving and storing everything as fat.

What does your diet consist of? Get the Grocery List from the Diet Forum and eat what's on there.

t

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

- One should not lift like a man or a woman, lift like a human.
njariesgirly
njariesgirly
United States
2007/04/05, 12:27 PM
Nice arms by the way.. OK there is no muscle on me! I just don't have those genes. I can lift weights & even do all protein. I basically am a skinny fat person...meaning I have flab in my butt & thighs, but I have a small waist & skinny arms. Like I said, the only weigh I have ever been able to adjust the way my body looks is through restriction. At 32, I just don't really feel this is healthy. This is what I eat almost every day....I already eat very very clean & get made fun of, so there really is no reason for me to look at a list.:)

Bfst: 5AM Old fasjioned Oatmeal w/ Protein powder cup of tea. 200 calories
snack 9AM: low fat string cheese & apple..140 cal
Lunch: Big green salad w/ 4 0z chicken or tuna flax seed oil & balsamic vinegar.250-275 cals
Snack 3pm: Veggies & either a few nuts, or low fat cheese slice, or Greek low sugar/low carb yogurt. 150 cals
Dinner: Egg Whites w/ Veggies Fat Free Cheese & Extra Lean Turkey Bacon,or Salmon W/ veggies. usually around 250-300 cals.
Go to the gym at 7,
Snack: Protein shake or Cottage Cheese 100 cals.

My fat usually takes up about 200 calories more, which is ground flax seeds that I add on almost all my food. I just like the crunch!:big_smile:
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/05, 12:34 PM
That's right around 1200 calories. May need to add some more. What's your workout routine like?

And thanks for the kudos!

t

--------------

njariesgirly
njariesgirly
United States
2007/04/05, 07:02 PM
Well, I am usually exhausted by the time I make it to the gym! I walk on the treadmil at about 4.6 pace or I do the elliptical for 30 minutes. Then I do back one day, arms & shoulders another, chest another, legs another. I can tell you that I work out, but I don't push myself because I am so tired by the time I get home::(
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/05, 07:07 PM
Droping the calories certainly won't help with the exhaustion!

Have you tried changing the time you go the gym? How long after you eat do you get there?

--------------

njariesgirly
njariesgirly
United States
2007/04/06, 08:04 AM
I usually eat at about 6 & go at about 7:30-8pm. Maybe I should try going again after work & then come home & eat my egg whites! It's just that my car was broken into once before Christmas there at 5:30, so I am always afraid that it will happen again. I was really naive & left my purse on the front seat, so I do blame myself.
Now yesterday, I dropped my calories down to 800..GUESS WHAT? I lost a pound today! See, it's very annoying that I drop weight when I reduce my calorie intake. It can't be healthy! :(
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/06, 10:21 AM
It's not healthy. That low of a calorie intake will get you through a workout and not much else.

Take a read through the Diet Forum and read all the Stickies in there.

Post workout you'll need more than just egg whites. A protien shake or something with protien and carbs in it is a good idea.

A few more questions:

- What time does your day start? This might be why you're exhausted after your workout.
- How much sleep are you getting?
- Do you drink enough water?

--------------

njariesgirly
njariesgirly
United States
2007/04/06, 04:11 PM
I get up at 5am. I feed the cats, get thing ready for work & sometimes do some laundry! I leave my ouse at 7:15 and I don't get home until 6pm with traffic. I go to bed pretty early..by 10pm. I drink water diluted organic cranberry juice. I drink so much that I feel like my desk should be in the ladies room since I am always there!:big_smile:

I just feel better not being so full also.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/06, 04:37 PM
Do you ever feel hungry?
How often do you weight train? Is it five days a week, all in a row or split up?

So many questions. :)

--------------

ariesgirly
ariesgirly
United States
2007/04/10, 12:14 PM
Hmm, I weight train about 4 days a week. I pretty much do it in a row with one day off.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/10, 12:57 PM
Are they the same body parts? For instance, if you are doing a whole body routine, you should take a day off between.

--------------

njariesgirly
njariesgirly
United States
2007/04/11, 04:42 PM
This is how crazy my body is..I ate 1300 calories in the past two days and I did not work out because I was a little under the weather with allergies..Guess what? I gained 3 pounds! It's ridiculous. I'm actually having my blood checked tomorrow for a thyroid problem. Does anyone know if there is any test that I can have by taking blood that has to do with your metabloism? I' curious.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/04/11, 04:45 PM
1300 cals total for two days? Or 1300 cals each day?

Bodyweight can fluctuate a lot over the course of a couple of days.

Stay off the scale, get a tape measure and measure things like hips and waist. That is a better indicator than hitting the scale daily. You don't need to measure daily either.

t

--------------