Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

building explosive power?

strecker
strecker
Ireland
2002/04/06, 01:35 PM
I play rugby. The off season is coming up for about and i need to develop power in my legs and in overall in general, without hampering running speed.
This will be done in conjunction with a cardio / speed-endurance program also.
Im a hard gainer and also need to pack on weight.
Gratefully interested in any tips or suggestions
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/07, 12:10 AM
Welcome to ft! Please fill out your profile and tell us more about yourself so that we will be able to answer your questions better in the future.

You can concentrate on working your legs and calves (presses, squats, extensions, etc.) through weight training. As a supplement, you can train those muscles for endurance through plyometric exercises, high intensity interval training and just doing some wind sprints on top of your planned cardio exercises.

Being a hardgainer myself, I play a lot of tennis. This allows me to sprint and develop endurance. To pack on weight, you just have to eat like a moose! I haven't yet come across a hardgainer who didn't gain weight from a 4,000+ calorie diet!

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/04/07, 08:45 PM
Welcome to FT, strecker! I agree with Robert on the plyometrics. They are some of the best excercises you can do for better explosive power.

I also love box squats for the very same goal: overall explosive power. Just act as if you are doing a regular squat, but place a low chair, box, or bench behind you. When you go down, sit on the chair and relax your leg muscles for a just a fraction of a second and EXPLODE up. When I do these, I come very close to jumping. I go just below parallel when I do box squats because they are done with a lighter weight than normal. If you do box squats, be sure to be thoroughly warmed-up and work with lighter weights so you maintain balance and good form.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/04/10, 11:39 AM
Here's a website that provides some plyometric exercises based on specific sports, including rugby:

http://www.fitnesscomplete.co.uk/chapters/ply/sports.htm

--------------
**_Robert_**
richardjst
richardjst
United States
2002/07/16, 03:34 PM
Try power cleans and snatches along with plyometrics.

--------------
The reason santa is so Jolly is because he knows where all the naughty girls are!