Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Build muscle first and then cut fat??

rdet
rdet
United States
2011/01/19, 07:02 PM
Hello,

I'm a 24 year old male who is 5'11" tall and who weighs 128 lbs. Technically, I'm low weight/below average BMI, but I have no muscle tone, and weight in my stomach and lovehandles that I would like to get rid of (like everyone else on here). Those are my goals: build a little muscle tone, but remain trim.

I've done a bunch of reading on here and have learned some interesting things, but I'm still confused/not sure how to apply it all to me.

Here's what I've gathered:

I shouldn't just go do cardio and diet, as my body will eat any remaining muscle that I do have? Instead, I should mainly focus on muscle-building workouts, should consume a lot of protein after my workout, should reduce/eliminate carbs, and should eat healthily. Then, after I've built some muscle (which will only occur if I gain weight), I then diet and do cardio and lose the weight (called cutting I guess?). Does this sound right?

The thought of gaining any weight at all right now, while looking at my stomach, does not sit well with me, but I guess you have to gain weight to build muscle, and I've been told you burn fat faster with cardio when you have more muscle tone. I just don't get it. How can I keep the muscle and burn the fat? Yes, I realize (and have read the million posts) that there is no such thing as spot treating.

Don't know how to move forward :-/
curley311
curley311
Canada
2011/01/21, 12:18 AM
You have learned some myths about carbohydrates...I too am very lean and have trouble gaining weight...With people like us that have fast metabolism..need to add lots of carbs espessially before any cardio exercise...if you dont your body will burn the hard work muscle by using protein as fuel instead of stored energy from carbs or fats. I dont know if you have followed the nutrition section of this website..but if you haven't take a look and set up a nutritional regimen. The key to gaining muscle mass is to add more protein to your diet..eat complex carbs like sweet potatoes, brocolli, spinach, whole grains...etc.. try to cut down on simple carbs...like surgar, honey, jams, etc. Truely in reality if you have done a hard workout weather it is cardio or muscle training you need to first replace your electrolytes...it doesn't matter what time of the day to have your protien...the key to your plate is to have Protein...Carbs...and healthy fats (we do need some fat..but stick to the good ones like omega's 3,6) and remember lots of water to keep hydrated.. If you wanna build muscle stick to muscle training where your are challanging yourself..do more than just three sets...follow a pyramid method or negatives (negatives also strengthens ligaments and tendons)always challange yourself each week to add additional weight to the machines or dumbbells each week..then you will know you are progressing. Most important that lots of people don't realize is that your muscle fibers will grow to their maximum..and won't go any further after that..this is because of how our bodies are made...I hope this would help you,, I know that some people might disagree with what I say but it is the tools I learned to get my certification completed...good luck to you.
powertotrain
powertotrain
United States
2011/01/21, 09:10 PM
You are right in some respects, just need a little clarification. I like what the post above said about diet when discussing eating low sugar. That's a key to remain/getting lean. Sugar triggers the release of insulin which cause your body to store energy as fat. So you don't want that.

The advice above about timing of protein consumption not mattering is just wrong. Let me try and answer this as simply as possible. When your trying to build muscle you should consume protein right before and after exercise. Before helps keeps your body from breaking down muscle tissue during your workout. After strength training your muuscles are damaged and most receptive to protein uptake, which means they will take the protein out of your blood stream and use it to rebuild themselves.

Whey protein is the best for pre and post workout supplementation. It is the fastest absorbed protein supplement meaning it gets into your blood stream quickly after consumption.

Research indicates that you should consume between 1.8 and 2 grams per kg of bodyweight. So if you weigh 100kgs your protein consumption should be at least 180 grams per day.
To convert your bodyweight to kgs, take your bodyweight in pounds / 2.2

Now to the lifting part... Don't do negatives when you are starting out weight training. They can be extremely dangerous to a begining lifter. Compound movements like squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, etc.. will help you build the most muscle. The larger the muscle the more work it can tolerate. So your pecs can handle more work than your biceps and you should keep that in mind with your training.

--------------
Scott Edson

My credentials: I have my masters in exercise science, worked in division I strength and conditioning, owned my own gym in suburban chicago, and now run a fitness website at

www.powertotrain.com
curley311
curley311
Canada
2011/01/21, 10:34 PM

============
Quoting from powertotrain:

You are right in some respects, just need a little clarification. I like what the post above said about diet when discussing eating low sugar. That's a key to remain/getting lean. Sugar triggers the release of insulin which cause your body to store energy as fat. So you don't want that.

The advice above about timing of protein consumption not mattering is just wrong. Let me try and answer this as simply as possible. When your trying to build muscle you should consume protein right before and after exercise. Before helps keeps your body from breaking down muscle tissue during your workout. After strength training your muuscles are damaged and most receptive to protein uptake, which means they will take the protein out of your blood stream and use it to rebuild themselves.

Whey protein is the best for pre and post workout supplementation. It is the fastest absorbed protein supplement meaning it gets into your blood stream quickly after consumption.

Research indicates that you should consume between 1.8 and 2 grams per kg of bodyweight. So if you weigh 100kgs your protein consumption should be at least 180 grams per day.
To convert your bodyweight to kgs, take your bodyweight in pounds / 2.2

Now to the lifting part... Don't do negatives when you are starting out weight training. They can be extremely dangerous to a begining lifter. Compound movements like squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, etc.. will help you build the most muscle. The larger the muscle the more work it can tolerate. So your pecs can handle more work than your biceps and you should keep that in mind with your training.

I understand scott that your interpretations are different from mine...maybe that is because our education and expertise are different because I learned through canadian guidlines and you learned throught american...although I think we both have good advice but I work more beginners and older adults than interermediate clients and my clients benefit from what I teach them...and it works for them...its up the individual on what best for them not what we think is best for them....
=============
powertotrain
powertotrain
United States
2011/01/23, 08:13 PM

============
Quoting from curley311:

Definitely there are many things that can work with many different types of clients.

I apologize if my post sounded wrong, just working off of my experience and education.

Scott

=============

--------------
Scott Edson

My credentials: I have my masters in exercise science, worked in division I strength and conditioning, owned my own gym in suburban chicago, and now run a fitness website at

www.powertotrain.com
rdet
rdet
United States
2011/01/23, 08:44 PM
Thank you both for your guidance. This has made things much clearer for me!
curley311
curley311
Canada
2011/01/24, 01:58 AM

============
Quoting from powertotrain:

Don't worry it about it we both have the experience and both out there to help others better their life..making it a healthy one...we both follow our education...and I don't know about you but there are always different techniques..that work and dont work it all depends on the individual...

=============
curley311
curley311
Canada
2011/01/24, 02:04 AM

============
Quoting from rdet:

Thank you both for your guidance. This has made things much clearer for me!
=============
Don't get discourage with gaining weight..it takes time and lots of patience. You will find out how things work for you. We all have different make ups. It although can get depressing sometimes because we are slimmer than the average person. Obesity is on the rise..perhaps the new epidemic..As long as you eat healthy and exercise on a regular basis..your body with thank-you. I go to the gym and get people make comments about how slim I am and this is me who they are looking at someone who has three boys..