Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

bicep pain.

jspsc123
jspsc123
United States
2006/12/12, 04:18 PM
hi everybody new to forum .about 2 weeks ago i might have torn my bicep.it still hurts but is getting better slowly but still hurts after 2 weeks.my question is how can i help the healing process. i havent been to the doctor because i just swithced jobs so i have no insurence yet and havent been able to go.there is no deformation of my bicep and it doesnt hurt by my shoulder or elbow so i dont even know if i tore it. the only part of my bicep that hurts is the side of my bicep that would touch the side of my body if my hands were straight down.also when the pain goes away how long should i wait before working out. thanks
carlvahl
carlvahl
United States
2007/01/25, 12:45 PM
I am 48, quite active and have sufferred a partial rupture of my distal biceps tendon at my left elbow which is my nondominate arm. I was playing basketball.
I've been to an orthopedic surgeon who recommends surgery. I have been doing alot of online research because I hate the idea of surgery. I have never even had a tooth pulled. I know what pain is as I have had several kidney stones. Anyway there is very little deformity and after about three days I can turn my palm up with very little problem or pain. I would estimate that I have lost 20 % of my strength and my left arm gets fatigued quite quickly but it has been less than a week since it occurred. I have had an MRI which confirms the partial rupture.

Is this an injury that could heal without surgery? I could deal with some loss of strength but I don't want to be disabled? Could the problem get worse on its own if I don't do anything?

My doctor has described a surgery which includes a long incision but I've read on line about another type of surgery used at the Cleveland Clinic where there is only a 2 inch cut. Cleveland is a 3 hour drive.

I would like any comments from professionals and persons who have suffered the same kind of injury.

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/02/01, 09:36 AM
Carl, I have no clue as to your particular injury, but I would suggest getting a 2nd opinion!
I had hurt my knee about 5 years ago playing in an indoor soccer league (guess I should have listened to the guys that said I was wearing the wrong type shoe). I tried to work through it but it just hurt too much. I finally went to see a doctor who measured how much I could bend the knee and how much I could straighten it and then sent me to PT. After a month of "torture" the flexibility in my knee worsened. He did an MRI then and said I had torn my ACL and miniscus (sp?). Well, at the time I couldn't afford to miss work so I toughed it out. About 2 years ago I decided to get it fixed, but had moved to another state. the new doctor told me, after another MRI, that there was minor damage but NO tear!!
Now, it does hurt at times, usually when very cold (thankfully I live in S. Texas now so that doesn't happen often!!), but the more I get into weight-training the less it bothers me. If I do anything like basketball, I have to wear my brace, but now I am able to do my sprints twice a week without the brace on. Oh, and by the way, I am 35.
JeffRocker
JeffRocker
United States
2007/02/03, 08:16 AM
jspsc123 and carl,
I too tore my distal bicep tendon about 9 months ago. You can read some post on it in the "pain in forearm(when doing biceps)" topic.