Group: Beginners to Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 969, Messages: 18927

Share and offer advice to beginners to the fitness world!

Join group

Best education for personal trainer

ekotysh
ekotysh
United States
2007/10/14, 01:23 PM
I would like to start a parallel career in personal training, along with my primary job. I checked out several university programs and they offer degrees in the following areas:

physical education
exercise science
kinesiology
sports education

I'd like to know which one is tailored better to become a personal trainer?

Thanks!

-Eduard
2007/10/14, 01:40 PM
Check out ww.ACSM.org, they offer a variety of certifications and list qualifications for each. Most cert's require a BS degree and a few require MS degrees. I'm not telling you to try and certify through them, but it might give you an idea of the specific degree(s) that could prove most useful to you. Also, university websites should give you descriptions of the various majors with course listings so that you can see for yourself how they differ.

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
ekotysh
ekotysh
United States
2007/10/14, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the reply! After reviewing the courses for ACSM certification and doing some more research, I believe the best fit would be a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science degree. The few Universities that offer this program also set you up for examination to practice as a Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC) after graduation, which is really nice, and the curriculum emphasizes nutrition, kinesiology and exercise physiology!

-Eduard
2007/10/14, 05:44 PM
Yeah, and if those are your pringles in your picture... you might want to brush up on nutrition if you're going to be a trainer. :laugh:

--------------
\"We must be the change we wish to see in the world\" - Ghandi
ekotysh
ekotysh
United States
2007/10/14, 10:17 PM
HAHA, no way. I love pringles!
drieman
drieman
United States
2007/10/16, 05:52 PM
LOL, very observent wasakat!!
Spam on top of the fridge...........

--------------
Success is not for the chosen few but rather for the few who choose it.