Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

Aspartame

Carlos20
Carlos20
Canada
2002/06/21, 02:05 PM
What's aspartame?

I'm avoiding sugar and I've noticed that most chewing gum has this stuff. I know its probably in too little in amount to do any harm, but I would like to know what you guys think.

rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/21, 03:38 PM
Artificial sweetener.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
kfrancois
kfrancois
Canada
2002/06/21, 08:53 PM
Chewing gum shouldn't contain very high doses, however awareness is growing about the fact that aspartame can be harmful. The whey protein I have actually says "Aspartame free" right on the package.

--------------
Only dead fish go with the flow.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2002/06/21, 09:08 PM
As Robert said, its an artificial sweetener. Its simply a no-calorie replacement for sugar. There are still some people that freak out about this stuff because it supposedly causes cancer and other health problems. That's really a bunch of BS. Aspertame is simply the combination of 2 amino acids: phenylalanine and aspartic acid. When the two amino acids seperate during digestion, a methyl group is released. These free methyl groups have been linked to eye problems and a couple other minor health risks. Truth is, a 'healthy' glass of tomato juice has over 8 times the amount of methyl groups as one 12oz diet soda. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gives a specified amount that is safe for human consumption, and I don't believe anyone has ever come close to to an unsafe amount. Basically, the safety limit is equivilant to about 40 (yes forty) diet sodas a day. I'm not sure how many packets of Nuti-Sweet that would come out to. The only people in real danger are those with the rare genetic disorder called phenylketonuria, or PKU. These people cannot digest phenylalanine and it builds up to toxic levels in the blood. You probably would never have to worry about that, though.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/06/22, 09:05 PM
Great info., J! It helps to have members like you who know what the hell they're talking about...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Carlos20
Carlos20
Canada
2002/06/23, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info guys