Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Arthritis question

kstockton
kstockton
United States
2007/07/01, 06:45 AM
I have had arthritis in the majority of my joints since I was seven years old, with the main problem lying in my knees and ankles. Because of this, I have a lot of trouble running, jogging, or even doing things like squats. I know that one alternative for cardio is riding a bike, but are there any other ways I can get my cardio in with less pressure on my knees?

--------------
I pay no attention whatever to anyone\'s praise or blame; I simply follow my own feelings. - W.A. Mozart
jakewa3
jakewa3
Canada
2007/07/03, 10:00 PM
Any chance of swimming? Quite possibly the best cardio there is, no impact what so ever.

Skipping I find isn't too bad for me.

I find biking a little hard on my knees as they are constantly going through the same range of motion for long periods and they hurt more than when I run.

I have found that in order to run with my painful knees I had to ease into it very slowly ie. walk a minute run a minute for 5 minute for 3-4 days week, then add 1 minute or only 30 seconds to the run portion every week. Easing into this slowly allowed my body to make the changes it needed to allow this much pounding. Any time off for injuries or other things means I have to start off the same way and build back up, otherwise I have a hard time standing or walking.
rudk
rudk
Estonia
2007/09/09, 03:07 PM
I have read about arthritis and as I understand the two most important things to give attention are: the prevention of joint destruction and to strengthen the musculoskeletal system. Swimming is probably the best option because it is easy on the joints and gives a decent workout. walking could also be a good form of exercise.

============
Quoting from http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/4616/1/Rheumatoid-Arthritis.html:

Until now, there is no known cure for rheumatoid arthritis. Reducing joint inflammation and pain, maximizing joint function, and preventing joint destruction is the current goal in treating rheumatoid arthritis. Early medical intervention has been found to improve outcomes in treatment. Optimal treatment includes combination of medications, joint strengthening exercises, joint protection, and patient education.

=============