Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

arm numbness

kathrynhughes
kathrynhughes
United States
2004/02/14, 01:15 PM
My husband is waking up with numb arms. We recently began working out about a year ago, and he has been doing mostly arm building exercises. Does this have anything to do with this new development of numb arms? We think the numbness is related to blood flow and not nerve damage.
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/02/15, 12:36 AM
yeah, i'd think it's more of a blood flow issue than an exercise related problem... i once woke up not feeling my arms at all, and that so freaking spooked the hell out of me... i tried to get up and feel over on my face... then i stood up for about 30 seconds and i slowly began to feel them again... later i found out that i'd slept in a real akward position, where i blocked a lot of the blood flow to my arms o_O so yeah, i'd BET your husband is just sleeping on top of his arms or something... i've never heard of a body builder (or any ordinary weight lifters) that had this problem FROM lifting weights, so...

--------------
8.1 o_O

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=GEKZGLA&key=RLE
jcannuck
jcannuck
Canada
2004/02/15, 05:13 PM
Hi Kathryn! I seem to have experienced alot of the problems posted in this section. I must be falling apart! Your husband might have Carpel Tunnel (sp?) Syndrome. Does he do alot of repetitive motions with his wrists? Ie: typing, using a mouse, tennis etc...? The same symptoms have bothered me for about a year and it was recently confirmed that I have the above. It's nothing too serious and is correctable with surgery if it really bothers him. Good luck!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/02/15, 06:08 PM
if its a tingly sensation( people cal it "going to sleep". This is actually not caused by lack of blood flow,if it was your arm would turn blue and purple. This is caused by nerves being compressed against somthing. In case you don't already know your brain is always sending "signals" to all parts of the body. They get there and back in about .2 of a sec. Now if they become compressed someway( arms in a weird posistion) they will "fall a sleep" cause those siganals aren't getting to that area, and thats your brains way of saying move your arm. This is only dangerous if this happend over a long period of time, like all day. Somtimes if the nerve is pinched to much the signals will stop there and never go any further. I only know this cause i have read abotu it, and I have the same problem and I asked my doc about it.

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!