Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

ankles.....

rou
rou
United States
2005/09/26, 08:15 PM
I've played sports all my life with no problems. I started AAU basketball 2 years ago. I had practice 2wice a week for 3 hours, and tournaments on the weekends(2 games sun, 2 games sat.) After my 1st tournament, my ankles hurt bad. i eventually went to the doctors and found out i had tendonitis in my ankles and shin splints. i got orthotics(inserts to put in my shoe shaped to my foot), and neproxin for the pain and inflamation. it worked, but the pain has come back. right now i am playing soccer every day for about 2 hours, and jogging 2-4 miles in the morning. the pain was bearable, but it is now bad. this morining i had to cut my 2.5 mile jog short and walk half of it. i take my neproxin, ice my ankles, and stretch them with theraband. is there anything else i can do? should i go back to the doctor?
2005/09/27, 04:54 AM
uh...do the rational thing and cut back on the running/sports....u're playing hard everyday....that's just asking for stuff to happen...

it's like asking what can i do to make my headache go away while banging your head nonstop again a wall....i mean this is pretty much what you're doing to your ankles/knees....

consider glucosomine/choindrotin/MSM(ask doctor first) for joints....takes 4-6 weeks to feel the effects
and Fish Oil supplement for inflammation....
rou
rou
United States
2005/09/27, 08:06 PM
thanks for the info.
as for cutting back, it really isnt an option.
i jog in the morning because for a class in school, we have to go out to the track every day(part of a health course), and i also have to get in good shape for basketball. but now i just walk when we go out.
as for soccer, i have practice/game every day, and once the season is over, i have basketball. i wont not stop playing sports for anything so forget that...
is there any exercising i can do to get in shape and build stamina/endurance that wont wear on my ankles? i was thinking swimming, but will that give me the stamina i need to run w/out getting out of breath for basketball? also, is there anything i can do without having to go to a gym?(as i would have to in order to swim)
2005/09/28, 04:30 AM
that's a fantastic idea...swimming is going to give u plenty stamina training plus allow u to save your joints....

fine...if that's the case...do as little as possible outside your practices in terms of cardio...or just swim laps.....even that only do once a week...you're are approaching overtraining...keep in mind that it takes about 3-4x the amount to recover from overtraining then to reach that point....so 2 weeks of overtraining might take u 8 weeks to recover completely...so you may not want to stop...but a rational thing to do would be to at least cut down...if u mess up your body then if u got any aspirations of college bball/soccer or anything like that then it will all disappear....I am not saying stop completely....but I like i was saying i am sure u can cut down on the volume....days that u have practices....don't do anything else.....if u have days where u got shorter practices...then do weight lifting beforehand....and on days off...so that u are lifting 3 days a week+doing sports specific training/running....for however many days...if u don't have any practices on weekends then don't do any running on those days......