Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

Abs Over 40

treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/02, 09:35 PM
I wish I wasn't so uptight about the handles but I'm still on active duty (two years to go) and I just can't embrace the idea that aging wasn't just a bad rumor someone started.
treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/02, 09:20 PM
Greetings. I'm new. This is my first post. I'm a 44 year old male who grew up as the kind of guy that'd get sand kicked in his face. I didn't really fill out until I joined the Army back in 79 - and even then filling out meant 6'0 tall and 155 pounds. I was probably about 4% BF with a 30 inch waist. I stayed that way until I was about 30 or so when I started lifting weights. I never stuck with it more than a year at a time or so but still it bumped me up to about 175 with a 32 inch waist. I stayed fit through college as I was in ROTC and of course I stayed fit once I returned to active duty - that was when I started hittin the weights. Back in 98 I got tagged with an assignment to Honduras. I was so bored that I lifted for 6 straight months. Again, I bumped up in weight, to 190, and left there with a 34 inch waist. Seeing a pattern here? Every time I get serious with weights my waist get bigger. Now that I'm older I think my metabolism is slowing down cause I now have these friggin love handles on my sides and lower back. I'm now up to 205 but I still have a 34 inch waist. Go figure. This is driving me nuts. I know I don't exercise the way I used to but jeez, this is absurd. I look in the mirror and I can't believe I'm the guy that was once 6'0, 135 pounds. I'm not asking for much, I just want to lose these disgusting handles. Someone please advise. Even if what you're going to tell me is something you suspect I won't want to hear. I'm desperate. Thanks
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/03/02, 09:27 PM
Welcome to freetrainers and don't get so hung up on the handles.
Seems like you know about the weightraining, but the diet is the big key. Make sure you are eating the right amount of proteins, carbs, and fats, from good sources and you should shed some fatty tissue. Get some cardio happenning.
The older we get, our metabolism slows down, so we need to stimulate it to keep it going, like a metabolic furnace.
Hope this helps.

--------------
\"A will finds a way, failure is not an option\"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
2004/03/02, 09:40 PM
Hey treadhead. I'm 50 and with the FT workouts for the last 8 months, I have lost the roundness. If I flex, I gave respectable abs. It can be done. I am working on cutting the body fat but I am weak and cant eat my way below 15% bodyfat. Take heart though. It can be done. Welcome to FT. Good luck with your goals. There are plenty of us semi grey guys here.:cool:

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
treadhead
treadhead
United States
2004/03/02, 09:50 PM
Thanks Charlie. I can relate to your plight on feeling weak. Anytime I've ever hit it hard on the weights I just couldn't get enough to eat. I felt wiped out unless I was jamming food down my throat.

Have you tried using the nutrition plan on this site? I'm having a hard time figuring out how it works. I know I have to change my diet. If I don't carry with me the right foods I'm hosed. Ever notice the tiny minority of foods in both the supermarket and in restaurants that are actually any good? It's pitiful.
2004/03/02, 09:55 PM
Yeah , you really have to do your homework on the diet thing. I pretty much changed my lifestyle eating- wise. Look up a post in the Nutritional section called grocery list for the body builder and commence learning. I'll bump it to the top. Fill out the nutritional section in your personal info and the FT puter will give you workable guidelines. It will be tough to do for a GI on deployment but there are lots of those here.

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie