Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

A long time member needs a mentor....

froshman
froshman
United States
2009/12/02, 09:30 PM
Here's my situation:
I'm now 30 years old.
I'm 6'2, 220.
I carry more weight in my legs than my upper body, mostly fat, have a belly, but have tone in my biceps and chest.

I work out anywhere from 6 days a week (when I'm motivated) to 1 day a week (when I feel listless or hopeless).

I'm a bot of a skinny fat guy, and of course, i wanna bulk up a bit (vanity muscles: chest, back, biceps, Butt and tris... but definitely appreciate the necessity of a whole body workout and neglect NO part of my body (maybe abs sometimes))

I want to get into prime shape. No belly. Strict lean muscle; I don't wanna be Schwarzenegger or Stallone by any means(Maybe a pumped up Brad Pitt circa Fight Club?), but also not skinny. I would like to not dip below 210 if possible, cuz I like being over 200.

I have been working out for 10 years. My max bench over that time had been 180 lbs. x 6 reps at my best.

My max squat over that time has been 200 x 10 at my best.

I have had the belly since I was 17. I felt I was too skinny at the time and made it my mission to gain weight by consuming fattening foods until I did. I ended up at 265, all fat because no one ever taught me about exercise and muscle gain (failure of the public school system). Since then, its been my desire to fix the mistake, and make myself a healthy guy, equipped with an athletic build (with abs), who is not "skinny" but not "bulky". Lean and sexy, I guess. That would fit my body best.

I have motivation, dedication and discipline when I believe in what I'm doing, but never seem to get exactly where I want to. but now that I'm 30, I know it's probably now or never.

If you look, you'll see I've been a member here for like 7 years. I have asked similar questions before, but have never been able to get where I wish to be... but let's also just say I have the desire like never before...

I want to make this happen for myself. HOWEVER, I need to believe this will work. I need to shake things up. I need the best guidance ever in accomplishing my goal; If someone can take me to where I wanna go, I will follow the orders necessary to take me there. Whatever the exercise, whatever the regiment, whatever the supplement (no steroids or anything illegal, only clean supps. Multi vitamins, creatine, protein etc. My health comes first), I'm willing and able...

I will probably email some of you privately when I get a chance, to those who seem to have had their stuff together over the years, but I am definitely open to all responses. Lord knows I need it.

Can someone help me????? I need ongoing guidance. I need to make this a project with a mentor.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/12/02, 09:46 PM
Wow, that was pretty motivational! You know what you want. Keep it simple and start the 8 week program on here under "weight loss and definition training" and supplement it with the 'wide shoulders program'. Don't use any supplements just healthy foods. I can try and guide you but no guarantees as I am not beside you at the gym or in the kitchen. This program works.
If you are not on any meds, and have no injuries, go for it.

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
froshman
froshman
United States
2009/12/02, 10:43 PM
Carivan- nice to hear from a veteran of the boards...

I forgot to mention that I eat relatively healthy (haven't touched a twinkie or happy meal in years)... I mean healthy as in buying spelt bread, so no joke. But I do drink beer (damn beer, the ultimate temptress)... However, I will give it all up for this. I am ready.

I also wanna get into good cardio condition... hell, great cardio condition if possible (assuming it doesn't go against my other goals).

Every time I've quit on my pursuit I think it's because I feel like I didn't have a specific routine. One that definitely works. If I have a plan to follow (even if it involves running on a track in 20 degree temp, Lifting in a gym for 3 hours- although I know that's counter-productive) i will do it. I have the discipline. I swear I will do what it takes.

I first joined here when I was like 23. I've asked the typical questions on the boards:

How can I gain muscle on a low carb diet?
How can I lose fat on a high calorie diet?
Is it possible to add muscle and cut fat simultaneously?...
and the ultimate: How can I lose belly fat but still drink beer?

Now that I'm 30, I will make no excuses anymore. I need guidance. If you say the weight loss and definition training with wide shoulders will work, then I will... WITH correct form... With dedication... withOUT fail.

Two Qs-
1. I have no spotter. How do I make up for that on heavy lifts ( should I play it safe with higher reps and lower weight or do extra sets at standard weight?... or get a smith machine?)

2. Why with Wide shoulders? I'm more interested in chest... back... even abs... any reason why you chose shoulders?

PS- THANK YOU!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2009/12/03, 05:42 PM
Answers to the questions in no particular order. :big_smile:
>>I took the wide shoulders for you as that will give you the V look that most guys like to have by bringing out your shoulders your waist will look smaller. But, that is up to you. One would look out of proportion with a big chest and nothing else.
>>For the first 8 weeks go with higher reps as per the program, if I remember the reps are 12-12-10-10 (the 1st is a warm up).
>>against all rules, allow yourself a beer (ONE ONLY), NOT on a training day and make sure it is a lite, I know American beer is lite to start with but go for the lite.

You should start to see results within 5-7 days. Go for it!

--------------
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Ivan (GO HABS GO!)

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)