Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

25 mins daily cardio question

taylor402
taylor402
United Kingdom
2011/09/15, 01:55 PM
Hi i was just wondering, i have set up an 8 week exercise plan and it says each day to do 25 minutes running, rowing etc .. if im on the treadmill do i just run for 25 mins and thats my daily cardio done ?
I have always avoided cardio at the gym as i have always been generally fit but started to get a belly within the last year so starting a new course monday with the 8 week ab course thrown in and a new healthy diet as i want to lose as much body fat as i can and i wasnt sure if it sounded like enough cardio to lose weight or if combined with a healthy diet and the exercise plan will i see results.
Thanks
2011/09/16, 12:49 AM
Okay so you're 24 and you've developed a belly. The first place to look is to your diet. Weight control is a numbers game 3500 calories is about a pound. Sorry, I'm a yank and can't do kilos.

The trick to losing the belly is not cardio alone. It takes exercise and monitoring caloric intake to lose the weight. A lot of people here suggest heavy lifting but I must confess I gained both muscle and weight when I lifted heavy.

I have learned that a slightly slower paced endurance regimen will burn calories faster. In other words, slow your pace on the treadmill and increase the incline. I walk 6 miles on the treadmill 3 days a week. Most of it is on a 10 degree incline. I swim 5 or 6 miles 3 days a week. I'm shedding about 2 pounds a week. You must also pay attention to portion control with your eating. Most people overeat.

I lift weights on the 3 days I walk. One day I hit my arms hard with curls, and lifts that hit the triceps. The nect day I'll do squats and thrusts for my legs. On the last day I do flyes, rows and bent over straight arm lifts. There is another name for these exercises but I'm old, can't remember and don't want to look it up. Look at the fitness resources to find them.

I'm about to start canoeing because in another month or so the lake water will hit 60 and my nipples hurt in water that cold.

Notice a pattern here? Well, actually there are two. First, I cross train. The reason is to keep your body guessing. Secondly I pay attention to my diet and count calories. If you reply, I'll answer. If you don't, I'll wait another 6 months to post here because there aren't many serious questions asked here anymore.

I'm pushing 60. I'm a grouchy old man but I don't have a pot belly. My abs show, I have muscle definition, I poop twice a day and I can help you if you want the help.

--------------
I would have a million dollars now if only I had only followed CNBCs advice...and I had started with a hundred million dollars.

Charlie