Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Lower Back Pain

sirks001
sirks001
United States
2002/06/15, 08:26 PM
Whenever I run or play basketball I get a real bad lower back pain. Is this because I need to strengthen my lowerback or is it something else? I don't run that often because I'm trying to gain mass, but I do play basketball sometimes, and running up and down the court really kills my lower back. Any suggestions...

----------------------------
†--SiRkS--†
jawsqb
jawsqb
Canada
2002/06/15, 08:50 PM
By no means am I a medical professional, but I'm wondering if you can tell if it's a sharp pain or if it feels like just a lower back that needs work like you suggested. When performing anything to do with running, jumping and other plyometrics, make sure your footwear is more than just adequate. Wearing improper footwear can definitely create harmful shock into the back region, even when just performing something as simple as walking. I noticed you mentioned you don't run as much because you're trying to gain mass, but try to keep up your cardio, because no matter what our fitness goals are, it is important to keep our heart strong. If your back isn't medically injured, try strengthening it by doing back extentions, good mornings, and/or dead lifts. Good luck!!
qualters
qualters
United States
2002/06/19, 01:39 PM
Does the pain stay in your lower back or move down your leg? I had a similar problem with my lower back. I discovered what exercies caused it to hurt and then stayed away from those. Use RICE therapy here at ft, I iced my back for about a week and it now feels better

--------------
BQ
AMERICAN MADE
Sempai
Sempai
Canada
2002/06/19, 06:22 PM
Hi sirks001, Before you run or play basketball do you take time to stretch your back. A lot of times people forget to stretch the back muscles before a sport. I find I am troubled with lower back pain if I do not stretch properly. Also as mentioned proper foot ware is important.

--------------
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember the ark was built by amateurs, The Titanic was built by professionals.
FitLilAlien
FitLilAlien
United States
2002/06/20, 10:10 AM
As well as stretching and proper foot wear, if you want to relieve some of the pain try laying on an ice pack or crushed ice in a ziploc bag, putting it under your lower back then stretching with it there. DO that for about 15 minutes, then do the same with heat. Or you can try contrast showers, standing in the shower and running cold water 9as cold as you can stand) while stretching for 2 mins or so, then hot water for 2 mins or so, and repeat this 3 or 4 times. I just did the latter this morning because my back has been killing me for a couple weeks and it really helped.
prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/06/20, 12:00 PM
It's important to find the cause of the back pain before you actually try to treat it.

Does this pain only appear when you play basketball? Or are their any other situations (even though infrequent) that induce the same pain?

Describe the pain. Is it:
Sharp?
Dull?
Throbbing?
In the center of your back (as in your spine)?
On one or both sides of your back?
Does it affect the way you stand, sit or walk while it's hurting?
Does the pain travel to any other areas (as mentioned in a previous post) such as your hips or legs? (This is known as "radiating" pain.)
Does rest relieve the pain at all?
How long is it sore?

Many of these answers can help a dr. pinpoint (or at least narrow down) the possible cause(s) of the pain. I'm an LPN, and have had quite a bit of experience with back problems as my husband was misdiagnosed several years ago with a lumbar (lower back) strain. It became progessively worse over the years, and he had a diskectomy last June. What he actually had was a bulging disk that pressed on nerves in the spine. It was small at first, and exertion would bring on the symptoms. One Sunday morning, he got out of bed, feeling fine, sneezed, and wound up on the floor and couldn't get up. The sneeze had blown the disk completely out.

Don't hesitate to see your doctor about back pain, especially low back pain. It could be a symptom of the start of something that could become more serious. Only by having an MRI can a herniated (aka slipped aka blown) disk be diagnosed.

Take care of yourself and your back!
pg

============
Quoting from sirks001:

Whenever I run or play basketball I get a real bad lower back pain. Is this because I need to strengthen my lowerback or is it something else? I don't run that often because I'm trying to gain mass, but I do play basketball sometimes, and running up and down the court really kills my lower back. Any suggestions...

=============
sirks001
sirks001
United States
2002/06/20, 10:15 PM
The pain is kinda Dull, on both sides of my lower back. I have to bend over at the waist so that it doesn't hurt as much. It doesn't travel to any other areas, just in my lower back. It does go away after mabye 10 min or so of rest. I hope you can tell me something from some of this information pg. I really appreciate your post!

--------------
†--SiRkS--†
aerlingus
aerlingus
United States
2002/06/21, 02:09 AM
I had a lower back pain too, I found the cause to be tight muscles. Often a person won't strech properly before and after exersise. You might want to concentrate on really streching your hamstings, a tight hamstring can cause your lower back to buckle in after exersises. By streching your hamstrings you releive that pressure on your lower back and hip flexors. It worked for me I hope it works for you.
V/R
Tim

--------------
The only easy day was yesterday
prettygentle
prettygentle
United States
2002/06/21, 07:45 AM
Sirks,

Glad I can kinda help :)

The dull pain on both sides sounds more like muscles to me. Kinda sounds like the pain I feel in my upper back with crunches!!

Try the stretching before, during and after you play. Some targeted exercising to build up the endurance of that area should help greatly relieve that pain. Also remember, that if you have weak abs, this can place great strain on the back as well. I'd shoot for midsection strength and see what that does.

If nothing else seems to help, please go see your doc...

Keep us posted on your progress!

--------------
pg
*The prettygentleone isn't so gentle anymore! ^v^
reynabayor
reynabayor
Philippines
2010/02/16, 07:27 PM
:love: