Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Cable Machines Vs. Free Weights

BillK
BillK
United States
2001/01/18, 09:26 PM
I been noticing that many people including myself are confused when it comes to using Free Weights in replace of Cable &/or Machine exercises. If you know of any supplemental Free Weight exercises to replace some of the most commonly used Cable & Machine types; list them here.

Lets get the ball rolling with a replacement for:
Close Grip Machine Pull downs
---Lets keep the list growing with alternatives

billk
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2001/01/19, 01:18 AM
For close-grip cable pushdowns, an equivalent exercise would be an overhead dumbell or barbell press. Both are very effective...

For chest, cable flyes can be replaced by dumbell flyes (you should do dumbell flyes instead of cable flyes during a bulk-up phase)

Cable rows for back would be equivalent to a bent-over barbell row, or a t-bar row, depending on the handle used during the cable exercise.

In general, when you're trying to put on mass, you should avoid cable exercises and focus mainly on the basic compound movements. When you're trying to add definition, cable exercises are excellent for isolating the muscle group that you are targeting. Both forms of exercise have their place in training.
tt_rocker
tt_rocker
Saudi Arabia
2001/01/19, 01:26 AM
just like adrian said...cable machine are used mainly for isolating the muscle...there function is equivalent to that of FW. I try my best to use all types of equipment when I'm in the gym..
I use cam machines or multi-purpose ones first then I finish off my routines by using FW and cable machines.
bore
bore
United States
2001/01/19, 07:03 AM
Free weights are by far better than any machine. Cables are good to supplement free weights.
The reason why free weights are better is that they take balance and control and don't force you to stay in a "groove", they make your stabalizer muscles work also.
As far as close grip machine pull downs go, you can do pull ups if your body is to light put a dumbell between your feet to increase weight, if on the other hand you can't do your own weight have a partner help you force out reps up to 10.
Machines are just to limiting, but if thats all you have, you've got to make do with what you've got. :)

Rob
xavier
xavier
United States
2001/01/19, 05:37 PM
use a pull bar and do them with your own bodyweight
Adrian
Adrian
Switzerland
2001/01/20, 02:59 AM
Oops, I thought you meant tricep pushdowns... instead of pulldowns - and yes, chinups would be equivalent to pulldowns...
Dark_Wolf
Dark_Wolf
United States
2001/01/22, 09:39 PM
i'm 16 and have been lifting for 3 years and i like freeweights better they give you more true gravety work and you learn muscle balance. i tried cable and it worked for quick workout and the weights change quicked but for strength and size i've gained more on freeweights. plus all the cable i used was easier that freeweights, no pain no gain.