Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Grip strength

Drew
Drew
United States
2001/01/04, 07:27 PM
Whenever I do seated rows and deadlifts. I find myself haveing to rely on straps to keep my grip. If I do use the straps I can usually add about 50 to 75 pounds extra on my deadlifts and continue for a good 5 more reps. I have heard that straps are okay, but that its a cruch that should be eliminated. How do I gain grip strength? I don't want my deadlifts to suffer because I have girly hands.(NO OFFENSE)
Legend
Legend
Canada
2001/01/05, 12:21 AM
hi alright i was wondering about that too and i found a couple good excercises....first grab some weight and do a forarm curl then flip your arm over and curl it up..then you hang off a chin up bar for as long a possible..once you get good at that then anchor some weight on you and hang again.....there is also the farmers carry..grab 2 dumbels aned walk around the perimiter of the gym..if you can do it once then do it twice..then next time grab heavier wieghts
xavier
xavier
United States
2001/01/05, 05:10 PM
if your working out your back why r u even worrying about your grip if the straps make u lift stronger use them using more weight will help u get bigger fast
BillK
BillK
United States
2001/01/23, 07:33 PM
I agree with Xavier. You should only be concentrating on your back muscles when working that muscle group.

Add some forearm exercises to your arm day to increase strength and size to that muscle. You don't want your larger back muscles to be neglected because of weak forearms do you? Didn't think so, therefore use straps when needed because your back will always be bigger and stronger then your forearms.

billk
VIPER
VIPER
United States
2001/01/23, 01:44 PM
the bestway to get a good grip is to buy hand flexersstart with light strength and work up to heavier strength
bore
bore
United States
2001/01/07, 01:20 AM
I start off with deadlifts and other back exercises without straps. But as i go heavier and can no longer hold the weight i use straps. You don't want your back to suffer because you can't hold the weight.
I do forearms on arms day when i do bis and tris. So most of the time when i do back i don't have much grip strength any way.
Just use straps like a weight lifting belt. Only when your going so heavy that you could hurt something without it.

Rob