Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

What is perfect?

sweetandpetite
sweetandpetite
Canada
2003/02/24, 03:39 PM
In society you see females on billboards with size 1 waist, big breasts and tall... is that what people see as perfect? I am 17, 5'4" and I am a size 9... I don't feel comfortable in my own body and I feel people criticize me all the time... i've tried so hard to lose weight but I can't... is there anything in particular I could do to boost my metabolism?

~*Krystal*~
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/02/24, 11:09 PM
I think everyone's idea of "perfect" is probably different. There is much to be said for beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Perfect can be percieved in many ways. Be comfortable with yourself. If you are not, YOU have the power to change it. You have already started, just by joining here and doing this post. Do not say you CAN'T!. This should not be in your vocabulary. Start with little steps, little steps add up to big steps. Good luck to you.

--------------
Failing to plan is like planning to fail!
rbi911
rbi911
United States
2003/02/25, 12:25 AM
hey sweetandpetite, i also felt the same way that you do. Of course i am male and so there was not even close to as much pressure on me. I found that once i got comfortable with myself the way i was, i made my goals alot smaller(as bb1 said) and then it gets easier. Start with small goals, and work up. If you want some advice on actually losing the weight, watch the diet, drink lots of water, and make sure to do the cardio(everyday if possible).

--------------
If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness
angel5
angel5
Canada
2003/02/25, 03:10 PM
perfection is an illusion.....mostly imposed by society onto the masses.....to portray or be portrayed as perfect only shows ignorance to reality, thus creating imperfections....

--------------
~IT IS BETTER TO BE HATED FOR WHO YOU ARE THAN LOVED FOR WHO YOU ARE NOT~
Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2003/03/03, 08:03 AM
I know how you feel, sweetandpetite. I think it's disgusting the way women are portrayed and subsequently made to feel.

--------------
*My body only feels good when it burns!
*Little voice telling you to quit? Put your fingers in your ears!
*"Life shrinks or grows in proportion to one's courage"
dougherty36
dougherty36
United States
2003/03/03, 11:31 AM
Seeing your pics I think you look great the way you are. I wish you all the luck to meet your goals
JennVice
JennVice
United States
2003/03/03, 09:29 PM
In addition to my nutrition courses, I've taken a lot of women's courses and marketing classes.... In many ads they don't use just ONE body. They often will use a man/boy's lower half and a woman's upper half. This gets the stick figure with big boobs. I don't remember which companies in particular do it but MANY do. Also, not sure if you read MAXIM (actually can't remember if it was Maxim or FHM) but recently the UK version had Kate Winslet on the cover... SHE GOT VERY upset with them, apparently when she was on the cover, they reduced her leg size to a third of the origional size! Talk about shocking

Also remember that size varies GREATLY from store to store... a size 9 in LEI is like a size 4 in American Eagle/Gap... a size 2/4 in AE and Gap is like a 5/6 or 7/8 in Express. It's all f***** up.
jshaddow
jshaddow
United States
2003/03/04, 07:29 PM
Go you jennvice! It's so annoying not knowing you're "real" size in ANYTHING - including shoes!
roni0906
roni0906
United States
2003/03/04, 07:48 PM
I think perfect is the way you carry yourself. The way you act is the biggest part of perfect you can be. Some like em big, some like em small, but you gotta have it on the inside to make it carry to the outside....just my opinion.

--------------
Lisa

Just laugh about it....
JennVice
JennVice
United States
2003/03/04, 09:28 PM
Lisa that's soooo sweet! I love that!
68mustang390
68mustang390
United States
2003/03/10, 12:53 PM
perfection is what you think it is not what others think of you. if you let the opinion of others drive your life then you will never get anywhere. you can have the best body in the world but then will a guy/girl only want to be with you just for your body? i would take a girl that loves me for who i am on the inside rather then have jeffifer love hewitt, nikki cox, or jennifer lopeaz love me for my money or body. the image of a perfect woman in our society is now so deluted that it is impossible for a woman to obtain without goint to a plastic surgeon. please just get in shape for your health but dont worry about obtaining the so called perfect image becasue you will never get it.
skinnyrobin
skinnyrobin
Germany
2003/03/10, 01:38 PM
well said. i fully agree there.
dancenyshopper
dancenyshopper
United States
2003/03/11, 02:26 PM
68mustang: awesome response! love it!
earth_angel0001
earth_angel0001
United States
2003/03/11, 08:00 PM
I agree with many of the above posts:

I have friends who aren't anywhere NEAR having a "perfect" body (by the way=), we live in an "unperfect" world already, which is probably why it's 1) hard to measure/define "perfection" in terms of the 'perfect body', and 2) why it's so hard to obtain the 'perfect body'!! Nothing is perfect!), but they are confident in who they are, and with the way their bodies are: They are self-confident and interesting (because they are not spending all of their time worrying about obtaining a perfect body, instead they are trying out new hobbies, becoming themselves, etc...).

I have other friends who I would say are very close to having the so-called "perfect" body, however many of them 1) don't see their bodies as "perfect" or anywhere near that (and spend a considerable amount of time worry about becoming more 'perfect'), and 2) don't have self-confidence in how they look and who they are.

I think it's hard for us, as consumers, to realize that problems don't disappear just because you're skinny/pretty/in shape, etc. We see models/actors/actresses/musicians and we think that they must have it all: Yet, they've got a whole slew of problems/issues just like any other regular human being. It's a part of life.... the good, the bad;)... In our society, SO much emphasis is placed on looks: It should be interesting in the end when people finally realize that life is more than looks.

Sorry this is so long, but I guess what i'm trying to say is, what i've learned over the years is that it's not so much about how you look but how YOU feel about yourself. You could be a size 20 and be healthy and confident in who you are, on the other hand, you could be a size 2 and be unhealthy and not confident in who you are and how you look. Anyways;), good luck sweetandpetite! I think you look great just how you are right now... I agree with 68mustang: Whatever type of fitness/health regime you begin and the goals you set for yourself, do it for yourself, not to fit an image or to become something you believe everyone else wants you to become.

Good luck!
London
London
United States
2003/03/12, 12:13 AM
Most of the time what I find most attractive in a woman or even friends are their small flaws. Those little imperfections and quirks that make them who they are. If everyone was created with some sort of pre-determined perfection, we'd be living in a boring world. I'm sure there are tons of guys on this site and throughout the world who find you extremely attractive, but what really matters is if you find it in yourself. Good luck and take care.
jugirl
jugirl
United States
2003/03/18, 09:53 AM
I think that everyone has thier own kind of 'perfection'. Just be the best that you can at being you. My brother wouldn't date a girl over a 130 pounds, where as my now ex-boyfriend wouldn't even look at a girl who weighed less than 130 lbs(we were best friends long before we dated) so different strokes for different folks.
simonhall84
simonhall84
United Kingdom
2003/07/06, 06:50 PM
id work it off yah ;) even though ur not big

--------------
immortality
mikedesa1
mikedesa1
Canada
2003/07/07, 09:22 AM
Simon... try to avoid those kinds of comments. I don't think they will be welcomed, as they have not been invited.

As for sweetandpetite... 17 is an interesting age, and probably amongst the toughest years you'll ever have to endure. Just try to realize that the media has a way of making all of us self-conscious about our imperfections.
Jesusfrk1
Jesusfrk1
United States
2004/01/23, 12:13 AM
Nothing in this world is so perfect that someone, somewhere, won't hate it. My idea of perfect is different from every one else. My brother likes short fat girls where I like slim girls, short or tall or anywhere in between.
genson
genson
United States
2004/01/23, 09:37 AM
Down here in the South, perfect is a state of mind. We have alot ppl that think they are perfect that may not be. We let them think that though. Perfect is a sense of satisfaction with ones self, that is all that is.