Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Workout

bicep
bicep
Canada
2003/02/24, 05:22 PM
hi,

Could someone help me with a simple powerlifting routine.

I`ve been out for a year due to illness.

Started slowly, for about 4 weeks. But now I feel that I need to get into a solid routine. Since my goal is to gain strength I think powerlifting is something for me.
Always loved those powercleans and squats.

Thanx
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/02/24, 05:52 PM
Give a us a little history about yourself, your current routines and experience, and some definitive goals, and we'll be more than glad to help out!

--------------
Michael
"Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!"
bicep
bicep
Canada
2003/02/25, 01:24 PM
Prior to my illness I`ve been lifitng for about 2.5 years.
With some success, don`t get me wrong nothing `wow` but it was good enough for me. However, my friends were very impressed, since I was always the skinny one.

coule of month before I got sick. A guy introduced me to powercleans ang squats. So, after few workouts with those two exerecises I could feel getting stronger and more motivated.

So, I want to focous on powerlifting:

I`ve been back to the gym for about 4 weeks, doing:

- focous on cardio
- 3 day split: 1) legs/ shoulders
2) chest / tri
3) back / bicep
- abs - a bit every day

I just love the energy I get from squats and power cleans.
Also, I`ve been told to focous more on legs.

I`ve been out just a little bit over a year. During that year I`ve not been exercising at all and not realy following a diet.

thanx
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/02/25, 01:46 PM
I know what you mean! As mean as they are, squats are my favorite. They can really show some power!

A good routine to start building a foundation in powerlifting is a 3 day/week routine, where you focus on one of the three lifts one day a week:
Monday: Squats, plus leg work
Wednesday: Bench, plus chest/arm work
Friday: Deadlifts, plus back/shoulder work

With each of these 3 days, the additional lifts are auxillary exercises, meant to develop connective tissues. I also suggest maybe cutting back a little on the cardio. You can't afford to waste Kcals needed for power on a treadmill.

After several weeks of developing this base, you can then cycle in programs where you focus on the individual lifts a few weeks at a time.

Hope that gives you a good starting point. Good Luck!

--------------
Michael
bicep
bicep
Canada
2003/02/25, 04:17 PM
Thanx for the help

Ok I got it so basically, is regualr workout but adding one powerlifting exercise to the routine, right ?

I have one favour, could you answer the following:

- how many different exrecises I should do for bi or tri
currently, I do 2 per per bodypart

- for back and shoudlers routine could you give me a specific exercises.
for back I divide into upper (pull ups or pull downs), middle (rows) and lower (extension, deadlifts).

I wanna focous more on pull ups, however I can`t as many as I used to. What I do is, do as many as I can and then do couple more focusing only on negatives, that usually leaves me sore for about 4 days.

what exercises would you suggest for shoulders ?
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2003/02/26, 01:53 AM
============
Quoting from bicep:

Thanx for the help

Ok I got it so basically, is regualr workout but adding one powerlifting exercise to the routine, right ? ****Well, kinda. You want to put most of your effort into training for that one lift. That should be at the beginning of your training; everything else should follow, but, if you did your main lift correctly, you won't be able to go all out on the subsequent lifts. Remember, these are auxillary excercises.

I have one favour, could you answer the following:

- how many different exrecises I should do for bi or tri
currently, I do 2 per per bodypart **** For now, 2 should be sufficient, for the same reasons as stated above.

- for back and shoudlers routine could you give me a specific exercises.
for back I divide into upper (pull ups or pull downs), middle (rows) and lower (extension, deadlifts). ****Deadlifts should be at the beginning. From there, you could try some cleans, t-bar rows, chins, and extensions.

I wanna focous more on pull ups, however I can`t as many as I used to. What I do is, do as many as I can and then do couple more focusing only on negatives, that usually leaves me sore for about 4 days. **** Whatever works to get your pull-ups going. They are tough, but very beneficial. Keep at 'em.

what exercises would you suggest for shoulders ? ****Military Presses first and foremost. Then you could throw in some light anterior, lateral, and posterior deltiod lifts to work the stabilizers. Or even upright rows and shrugs.

Hope that helped......

--------------
Michael